stock stock issues

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

stock stock issues

Post by sniper model 12 »

Savage model 12 with synthetic stock. After laying in the case for a while (3 weeks) I discovered that the plastic on the forearm was touching the barrel allowing a felt and an audible vibration with every shot.

Me, Southern Ohio boy with a Dremel. . . shaved off some of the plastic on the top side of the forearm. I thought I was smart.

Now, I've notice that the remainder of the forearm is weakening and wanting to lay next to the barrel. Without cutting the whole stock down to a nubbin, what recourse is available. I would like a new after market stock. .. . but funding is nill.

Help :!: please :!: :idea: :wall: :huh: :idea: :?:
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: stock stock issues

Post by glenn asher »

A. Start saving for a B&C Duramaxx stock, sometimes available on sale at Midway for $89 or so dollars, you can buy basic black and paint it with Krylon if black gets boring. They have other colors, but if money is an object (and it usually is with me........) just get the black one.

B. Meantime, you might try to chase down an old segmented cleaning rod, and glassbed it into the forearm to stiffen things up. This helps a LITTLE bit but isn't really satisfactory for long, you'll want that aftermarket stock sooner or later.

I think anyone and everyone with a Savage Tupperware stock has been in the exact same place you are right now. I know I've been there 'several times'. I have tried (and you probably should, also) glass-bedding the action into the stock, and THEN working to float it as best you can, but the new stock (which won't go bad waiting on you to purchase it) will be the most satisfactory.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Or....keep fooling your friends and fix that stock!

Items needed:

Aluminum U channel - fits in the recess in the forearm
Glass bedding or epoxy
Dremel

Rough up the channel, cut to length the aluminum U channel, color the glass bedding black, and bed or epoxy in place the U channel.

Drill holes for the eyes for the sling/bipod mounts and call it a day. :)
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Good tip acloco.

Just saw a gun mag yesterday with pictures of the new Savage accu-stock. It will have an aluminum block supporting the action and barrel chanel. Available soon on select models and probably almost everything eventually just like the accu-trigger. Article claimed that it only added $10.00 to their cost for Savage. What a great company!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

As previously stated you can remove the gussets in the forearm and epoxy a steel rod or similar in there.
Fully fill the forearm voids with epoxy until you get to the bottom of the barrel channel. Or stated differently don't expect a few dabs of epoxy to do the job when a lot more is needed.
NAPA sells a two part epoxy designed for plastics in syringe style. I'd recommend that. Some epoxys have a tough time adhering to the plastic stocks. Buy lots of them you'll need it.

Warning: This particular NAPA brand epoxy is not compatable with one type of plastic. Not sure if its the same as in a Savage stock. A little homework is in order.
You'll want to rough up all plastic that will come in contact with epoxy for a better bond.

After the forearm is stiffened and confidence is high you might as well use that same epoxy product to bed the action. ;)
Still not happy after that its time for an aftermarket and you now have some gunsmithing under your belt.

Are you sure your not actually hearing the Savage Thwangggggg. Sounds like a tuning fork in your stock?
Thats usually caused by the trigger body vibrating on the stock somewhere. I have shot some killer groups while hearing that noise. I fix it anyway.

Never hurts to stiffen the forearm anyway and a dremel sure makes such jobs easy.

Oh Yeah. Leaving a gun in a case is not good for the gun or the case. The foam traps moisture which will rust your gun and the oil from the gun will prematurely degrade the foam. At least the foam in the cheapo cases.
You need not ask me how I know this. :wall:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I appreciate the help :D

The 204 is the only firearm that I have that is kept in a case. I'll post some pics some time. Hand made red cedar. . . I do keep several packets of desicant in the case. I do know what you mean jo191145 about the foam discoloring and breaking down. That happened to a shotgun of mine once and took f or e v er to get all of the foam dust out of the action :mad:

All of the other lead throwers are in closets, cabinets, or vehicles inside a gun sock or similar wrapping. I will have to rethink 204 storage.

I really think a B&C stock will be the better choice over the "tupper ware" stock. As far as I know, the action is pillar supported. Aluminum if I'm not mistaken.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson