Rem 700 sps-v review.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
upnorthbacon
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps-v

Rem 700 sps-v review.

Post by upnorthbacon »

Just joined this site and I'm really excited at all the info. I bought a Remington SPS-varmint and recently started shooting long range. It's going to by my coyote gun. I've shot Hornady 40grain and 32grain V-max, and Federal 39grain but it seems to really like the 32 grain. I'm hoping those are hot enough on coyotes out to 300 yards? I have dual dovetail leupy rings and mounts with an Bushnell elite 3200 10x scope. I'm getting 2" groups at 300 yards and recently shot a couple 4" groups at 450 yards! This gun really shoots, I like the trigger, but I'm going to have to replace the stock. I've owned a couple savages in the past and I would say the trigger pull is very crisp and comparable to the accutrigger, but a little heavier. I like my hunting guns to have triggers that are a little heavier. I'll usually wear a thin glove on my shooting hand, it get's pretty cold in northern MI in the winter. I was trying to decide between the sps and new savage model 25 varmint. I went with the sps honestly because I've never owned a remington, I've always bought savages because of the value. I thought I'd try something different and I know there's a ton of aftermarket stuff for the 700 action. Anyway I'm really happy with the sps but when the barrel starts heating up my groups start opening up quite a bit. I'm thinking it might have to do with the cheapo stock that isn't free floated. With a cold barrel and little wind I'm confident in making 4" groups (Hopefully less with more practice) out to 400 yards consistently. I do reload but I've been so happy with the groups I'm getting with factory Hornady 32gr I'm almost tempted to just keep buying factory. Has anyone choro'ed one of those rounds through a 26" barrel to see what they are actually going? I've been using a ballistics program but I keep having to fiddle with it because I'm not sure what I'm actually shooting in fps. If anyone knows the chrono'ed velocity I'd appreciate it, also what effects those 32 grains have on coyotes at distance. I'm getting decent groups from the hornady 40 grains too, just not quite as good. I'm not sure if I'd be better served with the 40 grain on coyotes or not?
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Re: Rem 700 sps-v review.

Post by KVW »

Can't tell you anything about factory loads. But welcome to the forum, Great bunch of guys here :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

There is another thread active on the 32-gr bullets and coyotes.

Thus far the consensus is no they are not hard hitting enough on coyotes.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I used some Hornady factory 32's (plus other ammo) to establish a baseline for bullet preference in a new tube a while back. I got 4150fps average with 100fps extreme spreads.

This was some old ammo from the very early days. 2nd batch out of Hornadys door I believe.
No idea what todays lots might be producing.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .