6.5 Grendel

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

6.5 Grendel

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Anybody have a rifle in this caliber. For some reason this little round has my attention :chin: . If so,I would like to hear about it.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

jo191145

Re: 6.5 Grendel

Post by jo191145 »

Mike

I was intigued by this round when I heard of it too. Never did get one though.
In case you haven't read it theres a good article on it at 6mmBR.com.
In the Articles sub section I should add.

Are you thinking AR-15 or bolt?

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Jo
I was thinking AR platform. Thanks for the heads up on the article. That just put a big dent in my wallet :chin: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Hawkeye,

I'm in the process of putting together an AR myself and have been I've been looking at the 6.5 Grendel for awhile. I think I've convinced myself to go another route though. A local shop builds custom AR uppers (very accurate I might add) and he has his own wildcat that I'm thinking of trying.

It's the 6mm WOA and what it amounts to is a 6.8 SPC necked down to 6mm. It zips along pretty well. In a 24" barrel the light 70-75 gr varmint bullets will run about 3250-3350 fps and you can load up to 107 grainers from what I've read. He will also supply the dies as well.

Two of the guys that I work with have uppers from White Oak Arms and they are both tack drivers. I probably should have ordered my upper rather than picking up that S&W Model 41 (which I am picking up tomorrow!). Oh well, it will just have to wait a bit longer.

If you are bored, google 6mm WOA or White Oak Arms or PM me if you are interested and I can send you some links to a few sites I've found.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks for the info Wolf. But.... If I get a new AR, It will DEFINETELY be a Les Baer. I can't say enough about that rifle. Either can the guys that shoot the matches with me :wink: . I'll be shootin for another perfect score score this weekend in our 300 yard prone match. My Les Baer and NF are a match made in heaven :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I can't argue with the performance of the Les Baer, I was looking at one myself in either the .204 or in the 6.5 Grendel but then found out about the local guy so I figured I would give him my business. His guns have won a bunch of national matches and can no doubt out shoot my ability. At some point though, I may have to give in and get a Les Baer...man they are nice rifles!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

Mike

This April I got an Alexander Arms upper in 6.5 Grendel with a 24" barrel. This is my deer rifle that I will use hunting from my tree stand. Also I plan to use it for target shooting out to 600 yards at the range. On top sits a new Burris FFII Tac 30 scope with Burris tactical mounts.

This rifle is fun to shoot and very accurate. As a deer gun you have it very deadly out to about 300 yards. At 300 yards it has the same ballistics as my 260 Remington would have at 500 yards. This is my limit that I feel comfortable shooting.

The Nosler 120 BT and the Sierra 120 MK will shoot 3/4" groups or less at 100 yards. For deer hunting I am testing the Rem 120 PSPCL and the 120 Speer SPT. So far I have had very limited shooting time. By Fall I shoud have the deer loads worked out .

My Son has a 6.8 SPC and I have the 6.5 Grendel. As a deer hunting round,they both would work very well. For accuracy my Son and I would still take the Grendel first.

Grayfox