Help me choose a rifle in .204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
wadevb1

Re: Help me choose a rifle in .204

Post by wadevb1 »

I owned a Sako Varmint S/S lam in 22PPC. I regret sellign it but it was way too heavy for a carry rifle. Unless your shooting from a bench i'd look at other options. I'm athletic build but the Sako would wear on me after a hike. I ended up selling it and buying a Rem LVSF and wasn't pleased with it's accuracy but it was a feather compared to the Sako. The rifle just arrived a few days ago with a lilja barrel and a blueprinted action. I hope I get near the accuracy of the Sako.

After sinking a grand into my LVSF I wish I tried a Cooper from the start.
Semi-custom LVSF 204
Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

Other than a trigger change, from factory to a Timney, no other modifications were made made to the Howa's.
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

Millsy
If you read alot of posts .Some folks buy 400 dollar rifles and sink 1000 bucks into them
chasing that holy grail of sub MOA.
Others will just fork it out at the onset and pray they get a good one. or that the custom
place they buy it from will have good customer service.
Buy the best you can afford..you deserve it ..
I bought a Kimber varmint model .I havn't done a thing and it shoots great(using my handloads)..Certainly not a cooper but it's pretty nice ..

Hey sub
Nice user name.
But my curiosity of course got the better of me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-caliber_round
Which is a term usually relegated to sabots..

So you are talking one hole groups..correct??And if a bullet penetrates paper.
It will deform the paper some.. and then return back to a diameter slightly less than
the bullet that passed thru it. Sub-Sequent bullets passing thru that hole would have to
not tear the paper. Stupendous accuracy!! :chin:
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

I can only speak for the one rifle on your list, The Tikka. I do not reload as of yet and get exactly what the company told me I would as far as accuracy, outstanding shooter!
Heavy? Oh yeah, Stainless varmint barrel is quite a load to carry.
Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

Varmonter:

A sub-caliber shot is not necessairly one-hole. If measured from center to center it would be less than .204 or sub-caliber. You can also measure widest points and then subtract .204. Example: Three shot group measures .340 at widest points (.340 -.204 = .136 shot group) which is less than.204 or sub-caliber. I have the benefit of shooting in an underground and controlled environment, no wind, to test accuracy. The Howa's beat every factory rifle I have tested including my two Coopers, a 204 and a 22-250. Don't get overly impressed with the the targets Cooper sends with each gun. They are test fired at less than 50 yards. The only factory rifles that I own that will match the Howa's are two Steyr's, a Pro Hunter 223 and a SSG 22-250. All testing is done with factory loads.