204 build completed. range pics

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
wadevb1

204 build completed. range pics

Post by wadevb1 »

I purchased a Rem LVSF over a year ago. I wasn't impressed with the factory ammo accuracy and decided if I was going to reload I would do it right. I ordered a Lilja 3 groove and shipped everything to Clay Spencer. A full blueprint and bed job was completed as well as a few other details. I just finished breaking it in and was impressed on how little it fouled after the initial ten shoot and cleans. I was also impressed with a new purchase: WipeOut PatchOut, impressive stuff. Topped her off with a VxIII 6.5x20. Neil Jones tuned the trigger previously. Breaks clean at one pound.

The Wilson dies arrived first and included in the order was Berger 35's and BK's 39's. I have a host of powders from my PPC's and will start off with Benchmark. The initial break-in groups with mixed factory ammo already has been impressive. Looking forward to chasing yotes!

Here is a pic. Clay's machine work is impressive.
Last edited by wadevb1 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semi-custom LVSF 204
Lee C.

Re: 204 build completed.

Post by Lee C. »

Very nice wadevb1, Let us know how she shoots when you fine a load she likes.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nice stick!

I am wondering if the aftermarket barrels chambered in 204 will prefer the bullets seated off of the lands or not?
wadevb1

Post by wadevb1 »

Thanks,

I'm going to find out regarding jump or not. The 204 modified case didn't quite fit the chamber and I screwed it up trying to turn the neck. I'll just load OAL from load data link and hope for the best til I get a new case built. I know there are other methods to measure ogive to lands but I'm not confident with other methods so I'll load and go. I'm starting off with Benchmark and Berger 35's.

The rifle really turned out well and if it drives tacks I wont feel bad I didn't get a Cooper.
Semi-custom LVSF 204
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

wade: Nice rifle there, bud. If you don't have a Stoney Point tool, just sacrifice one 204 case by splitting the neck with a fine hack or jewelers saw so that it will hold a bullet. Use the dummy round to find your seating depth, or call Clay and ask him about the reamer dimensions he used for your chamber.

Chances are, it the rifle was chambered with a semi-custom 204 reamer, you won't be saddled with the poor seating depth to rifling arrangement that factory barrels offer. Granted, many chambered this way shoot remarkably well, but you'll never know unless you whip up a dummy round or give Claly a call. You'll save time and components in the meantime, not to mention barrel wear.

I bet she's going to be a real shooter. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wadevb1

Post by wadevb1 »

Thanks Rick,

After I messed up the modified case I did hit a fired case with a dremel. I looked her over and just didn't feel right putting that hacked up case in my new chamber ;) Good point on calling Clay, I guess after a thousand questions already one more wont hurt.

Thanks,

Wade
Semi-custom LVSF 204
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Nice lookin rifle. I'm betting its gonna shoot no matter where the lands are.

Another method I've used when I do not have a Hornady case quage seems to work well.

Simply size about .020 of the case neck. I don't bother resetting the die or nothing just do it by feel.
This should give you real light neck tension. Seat a bullet (39bk or 40 V-max recommended) real long and chamber it.
If you get roughly the same measurement repeatedly you've suceeded.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
wadevb1

Post by wadevb1 »

Thanks for the advice. I think I determined the ogive to lands. I slightly dented the case mouth and recieved three consistant measurements. Time to start throwing some Benchmark. I'll seat .020 off the lands for a start.

Thanks, Wade
Semi-custom LVSF 204
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Now that is a NICE looking rig. Be sure and let us know how is shoots, and what loads work for you. I'm using Benchmark in both my .204's shooting 32 gr and 39 gr Blitzkings.
ImageImage
stevie_ray1998
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700's, swirtch barrel 17-338

Post by stevie_ray1998 »

wadevb1, what did you do with the factory .204 LVSF barrel? If you still have it would you be interested in selling it? I have a .17 Rem LVSF and it doesn't shoot worth a crap. It'll put 2 shots together then the next 3 shots go anywhere it darn well pleases :huh:
wadevb1

Post by wadevb1 »

Stevie-ray,

Sorry, I wished I saved the barrel for someone on this forum but she's gone. Besides, thats the reason I had it removed. I had the same groups as you.

I made it out to the range today. Last month Greg Tannel shipped a complete 300wm build for me and I shot the first group with it today following break-in. Today was a good day.

I went to the bench with four 300WM and five 204 rounds. One each was fired into a sighter to foul and managed to put the remaining rounds into the 3's measuring CTC. I wasn't in my groove shooting today and think I could've done better with the 204.

Pic

I'll try bumping the powder up for speed now.

Thanks, Wade
Semi-custom LVSF 204
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Re: 204 build completed. range pics

Post by WaltherP99 »

VERY nice rifle!