Federal ammo with Sierra 39BK

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Federal ammo with Sierra 39BK

Post by Joker »

I know this maybe one of those questions with a secret answer, however i will give it a try. I have been going out of my mind try to get find a good recipe for the Sierra 39Bk to shoot well out of my 204 Browning A-Bolt. I think i have accomplished my mission with 26.5g of H4895. In the process of my mission i had purchase a box of federal ammo with the 39Bk and it shot great. So my question: is the any chance that anyone knows what secret powder may be packed under that bullet. It had the consistancy of BLC-2 but my attempt to recreate using that powder has failed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hope you all are back. I was have withdraw symptoms not being able to read all your posts.

Chris
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Federal ammo with Sierra 39BK

Post by glenn asher »

The factories use proprietary powders we earthly mortals cannot aquire, so about the best you can do, is to weigh a charge, find a similar powder that, with a like-weighed charge, nearly duplicates that velocity. That's an extremely difficult and awkward way to go about it, so I don't do it.
I just find a load the rifle likes and stick with it, if it works, I am happy. You DO seem to be on the right track, H-4895, in various charges, has been THE stellar performer for a large percentage of us here. 10X has it's adherents, too. If there are two good powders for the 39 Sierra, those two powders are what I'd bet money on.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Post by Joker »

Thanks alot. those powders did work well for me. I knew it was a long shot, but worth a try. Thanks again.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Out of my VSSF II I've been using 24.7 grains of RE10X, CCI-400 primers and been getting groups averaging .315". For a little knock down power, for yotes I use 25.3 gr and the group opens up a little to .432". But the extra velocity is great on bigger critters. I love my BK's!!