A bit perplexed?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

A bit perplexed?

Post by Pydpiper »

Wasn't sure where to put this..
2 weeks ago I was in a rifle shoot competition, my .204 and I walked away with first prize :D . However, when leaving the range we all had a chuckle at a great big ground hog on the range, 100 yards out eating away during all the shooting. I set up my shooting sticks, placed the crosshairs on him and pulled the trigger, it simply walked away. After listening to all the "too bad it wasn't made of paper, then you could have hit it" jokes I packed up my gun, dumbfounded.
Today I was sighting in my new scope, tweaked it to perfection and packed up to go home. Looked over and there was the groundhog, same spot. I rested on a picnic table, aimed an inch low and pulled the trigger on him again. Dropped dead. I loaded my rifle and went to go check out the damage.
When I walked up I was shocked to see a 3/4" bullet hole in his tail end, maggots squirming around inside it. I looked him over to see my shot and it was the exact same hole with a bit of blood in it. This thing managed to walk away after taking a hit at 100 yards from the .204 with 39 grain bullets in it. It didn't run, didn't even seem bothered, it just walked away. I was expecting to cut it in half with that bullet, it was big but still.. :chin:
I know this is a hard story to swallow, but I am getting in the van right now and going back with my camera, pretty bizarre.
I am having second thoughts about coyote hunting with this rifle. My obvious terrible shot placement aside, should that not have done a bit more damage? No exit on a groundhog?
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: A bit perplexed?

Post by Verminator2 »

I can't help you for the groundhog. As for a coyote rifle, grab some 35 gr. bergers and don't worry about it. The 39gr. might splash a lot more, especially if you hit a big bone, do to their frangibility.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My photos came out horrible, my kids opened my waterproof camera while it was underwater.. I got some though, a bit purple.
Tell me more about the Berger's, are they a FMJ? I squished and squeezed this little fellow today when I went back, not a whole lot feels out of place in there. That first hole over it's tail bone was pretty disgusting, although the maggots seemed to be trimming the nasty stuff off pretty quick.
Looks like yet another reason to make my own bullets, I have not seen anything like that yet (bergers), I cleaned out every shop within 100 mles of me of .204 ammo.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Have you tried a 40 gr VMax?? 40 VMax at 490 yards......cold barrel...1st shot....

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... 57&start=0
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

They're a flat base hollow point, kind of expensive but definately worth it if you are saving fur. They seem to just go in and explode, don't usually come out, and almost all of mine and my hunting partners coyotes are DRT. I haven't tried the 40gr. V-max personaly on coyotes, but a friend of mine does and most of his coyotes are DRT too, but with a little more fur damage.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Pydpiper.........all I can add is last summer I shot g.hog out at 95 yards with a 39 sierra..............Thought I'd find good terminal performance. What I found was a 204 in and 204 hole out his back. It was a kneeling shot, I held dead center on his chest. The bullet hit him and about an inch right of point of aim. Probibly trigger squeeze. The bullet went in and out like an ice pick. Never touch a bone! My brother has been wacking crows at his house with 40 hornady V-maxs, and all he has left is a yard full of feathers.
Sierra's have great bc. I do belive there jackets are thicker!
Hope this helps.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Groundhogs are tough critters. I've been shooting them with the 204 since it 1st came out. When I could find ammo that is. :lol: Dies & available bullets were scarce as hens teeth too. I've shot them with the 40grBerger,40gr V-Max, 39gr BK,32gr V-Max & the 34gr HP Winchester load. I get anywhere from a nearly invisible entrance with the insides totally souped to blown out guts & even 1/2 a head blown off once & everything in between. Shooting them in the rear end is the toughest way of all to kill one. I've seen em pull with their front legs away from a 270 at 200yds. I had one crawling away at 125yds once. I put one where you don't really want your finger to be & it just sat up on it's front legs & looked back at me. I had to shoot it again to kill it. Those things are tough but a lot of fun to shoot!!

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I get horrifying groups from the V-Max's(1 1-1/4"), that is why I tried the BK's, they group very well out of this gun.
Now, after reading what you guys have said, I can't help but wonder if I was looking at an exit hole, not an entrance? I just imagined more blood from an exit.
This groundhog was huge, almost too fat.

Here is the old hole, nasty and discouraging.

Here you can see the old and the new hole, much better shot placement on the second. Old on the right, new on the left.. Poor little bugger. Thinking back I am thinking the left hole, todays, may be an exit, if that is the case I am very happy with the penetration, it is my shot placement that was the cause of grief. For the life of me I can not recall this animals position during the shot.

acloco

Post by acloco »

pyd - how far off the lands are you seating the 40 gr VMax's at??

0.050" seems to be THE sweet spot.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have only shot factory loads, reloading is in my future and I will keep the info you gave me handy. I am getting such good results from the Sierra's it will be hard to try to beat them.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Ah...gotcha.

I am willing to bet you will not have a walkoff at 400 yards with a VMax.