Anyone shooting a browning abolt?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Joker
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt

Anyone shooting a browning abolt?

Post by Joker »

Just curious if anyone has info or loads for a Browning A-Bolt 204 Ruger. I am having trouble getting the accuracy i know that i can. Using 32g Hornady VMAX and 39g blitzking with a range of BLC-2 and TAC. BLC-2 shoots ok in the 32g but my gun just doesn't seem to like the heavier bullets. Any suggestions?

Patience is not a virtue, It's a waste of time.
killman
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-bolt composite stocker

Re: Anyone shooting a browning abolt?

Post by killman »

I am, I couldn't get the heavier bullets to shoot that great either. I finally got a good group with 35 grn Bergers and reloader 10x.
Joker

Post by Joker »

Can i get your recipe? I am shooting ok with the 32g VMAX and 28.5 and 29 grains of BLC-2 but i know this gun can do alot better. Just picked up some 10x and will try it with the 32 VMAX and 39 Blitzking. I have some Midway 34 grainers that are suposed to be pretty accurate. Do you shoot a 32g also? Thanks for the help.
killman

Post by killman »

I haven't tried any lighter bullets. I was looking for a coyote bullet and from what I read the 35 Berger does well. I am using 25 grns reloader,ww brass, 450 primers and my OAL from base to tip was 2.290" . If you search me here at this site http://www.predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/index.php you can see most of my results. Keep in mind yours will probably be different. I have talked to others with the same gun and have had different results.
killman

Post by killman »

You could also search this site. I asked the same question not to long ago :wink: .
Joker

Post by Joker »

Thanks alot. It's a good start for me with that heavier bullet. I will try to get some pics up.
heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

It's all trial and error, you'll get it eventually. I'll give you my 2 cents on your situation :twocents:.
First let me say, and this is just my opinion, I think that Hodgdon's BL-C(2) is too slow of a burning powder to be extremely accurate in a .204 case. Some people might disagree with me on this, but there is always exceptions, it is right on the edge. I think it is just to slow of a powder to work great in such a small case. BL-C(2) is considerably slower burning than even Varget, which is itself slower than H-4895 and Reloader 10X. You didn't mention what primers you are using, but if you are using a relatively cool primer such as Federals, you might not be getting enough bang :smirk: with the slow powder. This might be the reason the 32's shoot o.k but not the 39's. If you are set on using BL-C(2), try a hot primer like the 7.5's or Winchester's.
I pretty much don't know anybody who couldn't get Sierra's 39's to shoot, they are a great bullet! I think you'll have good luck with the Reloader 10X and the 39's. Also, try a longer seating depth if you havn't already. Try 2.290 like Killman suggested or 2.285, my rifle loves 2.285.
Good luck.
Kyle
Joker

Post by Joker »

Thanks alot. That made alot of sense. I relly wasn't stuck on BLC-2 it just shot ok and i was playing with powder quantity to get it better and i just seamed to be at a stand still. I loaded some TAC under my 32 and 39 bullets and didn't really get much difference. I did take killerman's advise and loaded some 10X under the 32 VMAX, 39 BK and a 34 Midway HP. Just got back and I had an extreme difference in the heavier bullets. Got alot better group. I was in a rush which didn't help, however starting with a 1in group is fine with me. I think i need to play with the10X a little more and i should have it. Very fun and frustrating at the same time. Oh i did seat the bullet at 2.29 except the Midway HP, It is such a tiny bullet and i have no load data for it. I really don't think i can get it above 2.24 or 25. Anyway thanks alot. I will try to get some pics soon. Are you shooting a Browning also.
Joker

Post by Joker »

I forgot i was using WSM and Fed 205 Primers. Do you recomend a change?
heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

Glad it worked out for you.
I love how you said that BL-C(2) "just seamed to be at a stand still", that's what I was talking about. If your are going to stick with the 10X then definitely shoot the Fed 205's, they are a great primer with that powder. Do not use them with BL-C(2), use your Winchesters for that powder.
My .204 is a Savage, but I will be shooting a Browning Citori 525 tonight at trap night!
Kyle
Joker

Post by Joker »

I think i will stick with the 10x. Will do on the primers. My brother has a Savage Model 12 and i was loading for him also. His gun didn't really like the BLC-2 either. I will hook him up with some 10x. He will see a big difference with that tac driver. Thansk for all the help.
Joker

Post by Joker »

Well just got back from the range. I shot a 3 shot .52 inch group with the 32g vmax on top of 26.2grns of 10x and Fed205 primer. Thanks for the help guys i thing i finally got there with the 32g's, However i can't get the 39g BK's under a 1.5in group. with 26.4 grns of 10x. Any suggestiion on going up or down with the powder. Do you know if this is anywere near max? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh - your opinions on trying benchmark to 10x

Thanks again for everything.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

26.4 gr of RL-10X with the 39 bk's seems quite high. Sierra lists the max at 25.1 gr for RL-10X and the 39 BK's. Both of my Savages lined out with 25 gr of RL-10X for the 39 gr BK's. Anything higher and accuracy started to suffer.
Savage Vaporizer
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Gube has got that right! I and several of my buddies shoot 24.8 gr R10X with the 39's and no pressure problems in hot prairie dog towns. The velocity is 3790 on my chrony. Lighten up your powder charge and you should get better results.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

RE-10X was my powder of choice for my XR-100. It worked well for all the bullets I shot, even the 39 SBK. I gave that rifle to my son last year but I still load it with RE-10X. Try working your way up to 25.1 gr with the 39 SBKs. That load worked for both the 39s and the 40 gr Bergers.

32 gr. Sierra - 26.0 gr. RE-10X
35 gr Berger - 25.5 gr. RE-1oX
39 gr. Sierra - 25.1 gr. RE-10X
40 gr Berger - 25.1 gr. RE-10X
45 gr Hornady - 24.5 gr. RE-10X

26.4 gr. of RE-10X behind a 39 gr. bullet does seem pretty high. I'd back off that load.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em