Barrel life on the .204?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Barrel life on the .204?

Post by Pydpiper »

On thing I found intriguing when I went after a varmint rifle was claims that the .204 would have a longer life due to the fact that it uses less powder. I doubt I will shoot the gun out but I recently heard that it has a shorter than average life span, anyone care to explain this to me?
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: Barrel life on the .204?

Post by OldTurtle »

From my understanding, the fastest way to wear out a barrel is to shoot it fast and long enough to overheat the barrel itself (too hot to hold onto) or to push really fast (4000+ fps) loads through it continually.

Most of my .204 loads are below the 3900 fps factor and the only time that one of my barrels got so hot I couldn't hold onto it comfortably was on a PD shoot and I left the rifle in the bright sun instead of setting it in the shade after a shooting session (takes a long time to cool that way)..

Of course, poor maintenance or cleaning practices can do damage as well..
AR
Factory/Factory
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Re: Barrel life on the .204?

Post by sniper model 12 »

I have a Savage model 12 with bull barrel. On fathers day this year, at the inlaws house, we started a tradition. 25 rounds on 25 golf balls ranging from 30 to 125 yds. largest caliber was a Chek 8mm Mauser and the smallest was a 17 HMR. I busted my 25 golf balls with 25 rounds all fired consecutively.

With my single shot rifle, my barrel did get hot, but not hot enough that I couldn't hold it. And, the barrel temp didn't effect the accuracy. The long shots were on the mark just as the short shots.

I have heard that juicing up hand loads and non-religious cleaning will kill a barrel q u i c k.

my cents
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson