Pictures from the range

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Pictures from the range

Post by chuckhunter »

It was getting dark so I had to rush a little. My first hand loads with my new gun.
The top two groups were: Powder imr 4064 27.5grs with 32gr sierra.
The bottom groups were: Powder imr 4064 27.5grs with 32gr hornadys.
Each group has five shots.

When I shot the bottom groups it was almost dark and the gun was a little warm.

Fat NDN
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Bull Barrel

Re: Pictures from the range

Post by Fat NDN »

:banana: Great shooting !! I wish I could get my H&R .204 to shoot that good. :chin:
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Thats some pretty nice shooting chuckhunter with that first sierra gruop you shot for your testing. If that was me now i would do the same test. But i would shot the hornady loads first just to make sure. That it was the sierra bullets that was working better in your gun with that load. All my summer shooting i do is just testing different loads i come up with. Thats what i like to do when i'm off work but thats all up to you. Have fun,
m239

Post by m239 »

Nice work.

Here's my range - 'welcome to flavor country'

heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

Nice shooting Chuckhunter. I'm glad to hear IMR-4064 is working good for you, it's not a powder we hear being used in the .204 often. When I check my Burn Rate Comparison Chart it lists IMR-4064 directly above Reloader 15, meaning it is just slightly faster than it (but basically the same). Just two powders above IMR-4064 is N-135 which some shooters are using with great success. Seven powders above (faster) than IMR-4064 is H-4895, the powder that I am using in my .204 (after considerable testing).
So, it is right in the ball park in terms of burn rate for premium accuracy in the .204, maybe a bit on the slow side. Being a bit slow (in burn rate, not velocity), you might find that it will shoot the heavier bullets (39 & 40's) better than the 32's. Anyway... thanks for the info and the pictures! What primers are you using in this load?
Kyle
chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

I'm using cci primers. I'm going to try Benchmark powder and see what happens. Same bullets
and rem 7.5 primers.