A Little Redemption

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jo191145

A Little Redemption

Post by jo191145 »

Thought you folks might like to know.
After my less than stellar results on Kevins P-Dog target I started over. For whatever reason my old load was no longer performing.
Still using Benchmark and 40 Bergs but I switched to WS2 and cranked the velocity up to 3840fps.
(super high node for BM "caution")
After some seating adjustments I found a load that shoots fairly well. I think this tube is just giving up but I'm still working with it.
Anyhow I'm pleased to report the 204 Ruger is once again the winner of the Dartmouth 200yd factory egg shoot netting me the coveted (by me at least ;) ) Golden egg.
Along with that comes another 50% off any Savage rifle certificate.

I also stole the 200yd custom trophy too. Using an internet purchased third hand Pac-Nor 14 twist 6BR tube on a Savage action in the original VLP stock. Stinkin 65gn Hornady varmint bullets to boot.
I fully expect the custom boys to tromp me in the dirt next month. Its not often you catch them asleep and they're fully awake now :lol:

I really stunk up the range at 300yds though. The wind was howling at speeds greater than my ability to compensate.

I have a new factory 204 tube screwed on another action and I'll be starting load development shortly.
No break in!!! I think I've stumbled upon a way to avoid all that one shot clean rigmarole that usually doesn't work all that well anyway. Obviously I'll need more time before formulating an opinion on its effectiveness. Looks real promising so far.

First four shots out of the new tube, Factory ammo Horn 40 V-Max at 100yds. = 1.384 :( Oh well I've seen worse.
Switched to 32gn factory Horn ammo. 5 shots = .670
It looks like I'll be starting with the 32's in this tube.
First I'd like to retry the factory 32's to see if they'll tighten up when the bore condition stabilizes. Five foulers and five for group should do it.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Re: A Little Redemption

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

jo191145 wrote:
I also stole the 200yd custom trophy too.
I take it you got away. Glad to see the 50% certificate stayed in the cup while you ran :lmao: Nice shooin!! :wtg:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jo191145: Congrats amigo! :party1:

Now stay tuned up so you can rock their socks again next month. Just imagine, a 204 walking away from a match with the gold against 6PPC's...... I love it!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Way to go Joe!!!

WW