General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Varmintcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001vosv

Post by Varmintcaller »

I have been viewing this site for quite awhile, and since i have just purchased my first 204, a Howa 1500, and am gathering the needed stuff to reload for this caliber, I thought that i would become a member. I have been shooting and reloading for 35 or so years, and am an avid predator caller. After viewing this forum, one thing is for certain, you members like pictures. This is the latest pic i have. this coyote came into my backyard looking for my wifes kittens, and i " introduced " him to my 243.

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: New Member

Post by glenn asher »

Howdy and welcome to the .204um! You're off to a fine start, both with a good Howa and that good coyote, too. Pretty country you're in, too! If you have questions, just holler, this is a good crowd and ready to be helpful. Plenty of load data around, too, so help yourself!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

YEP!! We like our pictures!! :wink: Thats a good lookin coyote you got there!! :wink:

Oh yeah!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Welcome to the forum Varmintcaller, nice job on the coyote.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Welcome to the board and pics are always great to look at, but since you showed a pic of Idaho in it, I want to go back.
I was in Boise in '05 at the Gem State Pred. Hunt. Boy did I fall in love with Idaho. It really makes me dislike Illinois.
BTW- Nice dog.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Varmintcaller, welcome to the forum! And yes we do love to see pictures like yours! :D Gary
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Welcom to the forum. Your gonna love your new 204. :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

Thank you all for the welcome, It is much appreciated. I am very happy to be part of such a great group!.
tmfisher57
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 .204 Leoupold VX-2 6x18x40 AO

Post by tmfisher57 »

Welcome to the forum neighbor. I also own a howa .204, mines a sporter barrel with the nutmeg laminated thumbhole stock. Almost too pretty to take out to hunt, but the wife picked it out for me. :D It took a bit to figure out what it liked and at times was VERY frusterating. :wall: Mine finally settled on 27.5 grains of Hogdgon 335. It shoots 34gr. Dogtown bullets & 39gr. Blitzkings about the same at 100yrds. If you step out to 400yrds or so the blitzkings are the better choice. I still shoot rats at 300 yrds. with the dogtown bullets all day long though.   GOOD LUCK with the trigger, tried myself to get the creap out then took it to the pro's and nothing.... Waste of $60 bucks. BUY a Timmney, Period. Save yourself the trouble, and money. I've talked to others about howa triggers and they all agree, they're junk. Other than being tempermental with loads and the trigger the gun ain't half bad. :chin:  Hope you enjoy your rifle, & I know you'll love the caliber!!!  Good Hunting!!
tmfisher57
doctor duck
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 15001js697o

Post by doctor duck »

Welcome, Varmintcaller. I recently joined this group after my purchase of a Howa 1500 varminter with the Hogue stock. I'm still working on some loads. I got a can of Reloader 10x today along with some CCI BR4 primers. The trigger on the Howa is just what everyone says but I kept fiddling with mine until I got all the creep out and got it down to 1.4# pull. It took a while but it works fine now. My trigger was full of oil and grease from the factory and needed a serious cleanout as much as adjustment. Anyway nice picture and welcome again.
chip-don
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1 204

Post by chip-don »

Welcome in the back yard good good I would go across the state for a shot at one like that :D
a bad day hunting is better than a GOOd day ////
Varmintcaller

Post by Varmintcaller »

I agree with you all on the Howa trigger, I have three Vanguard/Howas and put Timney triggers on all of them. Ill probably do the same with this one, but I got the creep out of it, and it breaks at 1 1/2 pounds so ill try it for awhile. Its a 1500 with a Hogue over moulded stock which is pillar bedded, and has a 22 inch sporter barrel.
I'm planning on using 39 or 40 gr bullets and either H4895 of Rel 10x, most of my shooting will be on coyotes or red fox. with an occaisional jack rabbit or prairie rat.

Do you think that 32 gr V Max's will work well on coyotes?

Thank you all for the welcome
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Cool! I have not even called a coyote this year :cry: -been doing to much school work.
I also have a Howa 1500. It is the Varminter Supreme with a "pepper" colored laminated Boyd stcok SS bull barrel-I love it. It shoots everything well or great.

Mine had a heavy trigger, if yours does and you don't know who to send it to let me know I'll get you the info from a place in Michigan with great turn around time and loads of experience (they build custom muzzleloaders on the 1500 action!).