Noveske .204 AR15 has arrived

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Noveske .204 AR15 has arrived

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Ordered a complete John Noveske rifle in .204 ruger a few weeks back and it arrived at my gun shop today. I mounted up a Leupold VXL 6.5X20X56 on a Larue SPR 30MM mount and I plan to break it in and get a few hundred rounds through it Sunday. It's a stainless steel 24" 1:10 twist with a decent looking target crown on it. 2 stage trigger as well.

I spoke with John Noveske and he said that this gun should shoot 1/2" groups @ 100 with factory loaded 32 grain Hornady's. I get 3/4 to 1" groups out of my Ruger # 1V 204 with that ammo so I would hope this will do a little better. We shall see...... I'm sure there are a few AR15 fanatics on here and they will probably know about this guy. When it comes to high end AR's he is the go to guy for sure. I don't know too much about him but as I understand it he was a custom barrel maker before he decided to go full bore with the manufacture of AR15's. He doesn't advertise .204's on his web site but I happen to call one day and got him on the phone and he said he had just made a run of .204 barrels for some local fellows and he had one that I could buy. One thing lead to another and th next thng you know we were configuring a complete rifle for me. I can't wait to heat this one up....

Here are a few pictures, couldn't resist taking a few with my Sabre Defence SPR in 5.56.

Enjoy.

TB
Doveryai no Proveryai
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: Noveske .204 AR15 has arrived

Post by Mike »

Congratulations on a very nice AR! I'm looking forward to your review once you get a bit of range time in.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

It looks really nice, Todd. I hope it shoots as good as it looks, they usually do! Try not to get it TOO hot on Sunday, those throats will still wear out................

Oh, and for ease of shooting off the sandbags, try to locate some smaller magazines, they'll help keep the barrel from getting so hot :D and make it easier to shoot off the rest, since you don't want to use the 30 rounder for a tripod.................... That's especially helpful when PDoggin, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Well I did not make it out on Sunday but I did make it on Monday out to my property which is only good for 100 yard range. I generally like to zero my .204's at 200 yards but no big deal, a slight twaek will fix it later. Anyway after I got her on paper I let her cool down, gave her a quick cleaning and this was the first 100 yard three shot group. 1st one low was my fouling shot intentionally shot away from the bull.

My set up - picnic table bench is not my favorite - BR pivot in my future I think

Business end....

Looking downrange

I shot several more following this one but kept leaving the camera back on the table and was too lazy to walk all the way back just to snap more pics. Some of the other groups (two of them) had some going through the same hole. I'm not big on measuring my groups I just know when they ar all touching that is an easy sub moa, maybe sub 1/2". What o you all think? Sub 1/2"?

I knew this was going to be one bad to the bone AR and I suspect that someone who is a better shooter than I could probably do better. I don't compete in anything and honestly I have not had the opportunity to shoot PD's yet. This was supposed to be my first year but I have had some medical issues that have made me get some surgeries (tomorrow is #2 of three scheduled so I will be down for a couple ofmonths) Anyway next year I am going out PD'ing for sure,most likely in Montana and I can't wait. I'll be taking this gun for sure, my new Cooper Jackson Varminter in .17 Fireball (can't wait, should be here in a few days) and I have a Ruger # 1V stainless laminated in .204 but I am onsidering selling it to fund a .204 bolt gun. I'm betting it will be another Cooper if I like the one that is coming....

Anyway enjoy the pics and let me know what you think. Is this Noveske AR up to the task to take on the PD's?

Todd
Doveryai no Proveryai
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Todd,
Thanks for posting your range experience with the new AR. That group that you posted looks great. Were you using factory ammo or hand loads?

To answer your question about using the AR for prairie poodles - yes, that gun is more than up to the task. Your biggest challenge will be keeping the barrel cool in a target-rich environment (like Glenn mentioned).

The real question now is which gun you'll love more, your AR or your inbound Cooper? (Life's rough sometimes, huh!) :wink:
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

NICE new rig.

Good luck on the surgery.

When the time comes, let me know where you will be going in Montana.

Take care!! acloco
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Very nice AR! Can't go wrong with Noveske! :)