.204 Ruger steel plate penetration, surprising result.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Dan877
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500 HB

.204 Ruger steel plate penetration, surprising result.

Post by Dan877 »

I finally got my Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger out to the range to start working up loads last week. My start load was 25g of Benchmark behind 34g Midway Dogtown's.

In sighting in the first couple of shots were about 12 " high which went over the tractor-tires-filled-with-sand backstop and hit the 1/4" plate steel inclined at a 60 degree angle backstop behind them. Surprisingly, the little 34 grain hollow points blew about 1/2" holes right through the steel!

After getting it shooting reasonably well, I fired several shots at the 300 yard gong, which is made of 2 pieces of 3/16" steel welded together, and they almost went through it! They blew out 1/2" diameter bowl shaped holes that went through the first plate and deeply into the second one.

I suppose the .204's velocity makes them perform like miniature "Explosively Formed Penetrators" or EFP's that we hear about in Iraq.
Has anyone else seen that kind of result on steel from the little .204's?
CV32

Re: .204 Ruger steel plate penetration, surprising result.

Post by CV32 »

Not terribly surprising. I've seen the same thing with 32 gr Vmax. Velocity rules when it comes to steel penetration.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
heikki02003
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

Post by heikki02003 »

You bet! Same story as you exactly. Trying to get factory Hornady 32's on paper and hit 3/16" flatbar and blew a hole just over 1/2" right through. Kinda surprised me. Now I know why they do such a good job on skippy! What an amazing varmint cartridge.
Kyle
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

These little buggers do even more damage to aluminum! :lol: The rancher at one of our sites even made a wind chime out of irrigation pipe that some of the shooters (not our group) had shot! Gary
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Try it with a 17 CF some day...

Little bullets punch holes in steel that bigger bullets merely splash on and leave a slight dent when they hit.

-BCB
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Are these mild steel targets or ???
cracker

Post by cracker »

I am back, I fell off the earth for a while but now its time to join in this great site.
when we shoot we hang targets with cloths pins from a wire stretcthed between two posts. If its not windy we simply use the pins at the top of the target and let them hang from the top. now after shooting a bunch we tape coins to the paper and the little 204 zips right thru them with out tearing the paper or even making it move, we have never punched one through the paper.
Great to be back,
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker