Ordering a Barrel From PAC-NOR.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
kirbymagnum

Ordering a Barrel From PAC-NOR.

Post by kirbymagnum »

This summer I would like to replace my stock Remington barrel on my Remington VS-SF II with a PAC-NOR barrel but I have a few questions before I get started.

(1) I live in Canada and would like to hear if anyone had problems getting the barrel across the border.

(2) I like the stock dimensions of my factory barrel (except for the 1-12 twist I will change it to 1:11) so I will be using those for the exterior barrel dimensions. If I ordered the barrel with the stock barrel dimensions could a local gun smith fit it to my action?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Ordering a Barrel From PAC-NOR.

Post by acloco »

Believe barrels are on the restricted list.

2 - absolutely and without a doubt. The accuracy of the rifle will be proof of their skill, care, and craftsmanship.
acloco

Post by acloco »

I forgot to ask, why are you replacing the barrel already?

Of note, I have several factory barrels that actually took quite a few rounds down the tube before they settled in (one was near 500 count!!!).
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Is their a distributer in Canada who makes custom barrels or have make high grade barrels? I want to change the barrel because my barrel twist is too fast and is having a hard time stabalizing 40 grain bullets.

Edit I have approximately 2500 rounds through the barrel so far and by the time I get a new barrel the old one will probably be pooched. Less waiting around and more shooting :mrgreen:
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

2500rd isn't anything, that barrel should be good for 10x that! I have a pac-nor barrel on my .204 it shoots great!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

2500rd isn't anything, that barrel should be good for 10x that!
You don't say? :roll: Apparently you didn't see my post from a month or so ago.

Mike
Factory Custom
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

kirbymagnum wrote:Is their a distributer in Canada who makes custom barrels or have make high grade barrels? I want to change the barrel because my barrel twist is too fast and is having a hard time stabalizing 40 grain bullets.
Dont you mean too slow :?:
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

kirby: Some 12 twist 204 barrels shoot the 40's just fine, others refuse to shoot them well. I just put a Pac-Nor stainless Super Match 11 twist barrel on a M700 action, and it shoots the 39gr Blitz King extremley well.

As for shipping one up there, I'd just go to the Canadian Customs website and check to see if a barrel is indeed on the restricted list. It would make no sense at all it it was on the list, but then again we're dealing with people who don't know a rifle barrel from a wine barrel.

Here's my Pac-Nor 11 twist on the Remmy M700:

I have a very accurate rifle (7mm-08 Akley, titanium action) made in Canada by Prairie Gun Works in Winnipeg. Ross Spagrud runs the outfit, and he uses Gallaird barrels, made in Canada. Check it out, and tell Ross Rick from Varmint Masters in Oregon sent you, he's a great guy, and can get you a primo barrel easily for that 204 without dinking around with the idiots in Customs. Good luck.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

foxwhistler, you are right I ment my twist is to slow. :oops: Good looking rig Rick in Oregon! :eek: Thanks for the help guys.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

I checked out the Canadian Customs web site and searched the firearms section and it did not show barrels as being banned from importing nor were they on the site.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Believe the barrel issue is a US customs (under the "may not export" heading).

There is a gent on longrangehunting.com that has tried just about every thing in the book to get a 300 RUM barrel shipped up there.

I am NOT privy to all of the details, but have seen a few of the trials/tribulations happening.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Thanks for the heads up acloco. Do you know if U.S.A. will export triggers to Canada?
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

I sent PAC-NOR a email regarding shipping rifle barrels to Canada and this is what they had to say.

"We currently ship "steel tubing" to your country via the postal servicewithout a special permit from this side. Regards, Penny" :huh:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

kirby: I know Penny, she's a real cut-up. She's telling you that they DO ship barrels into Canada, and the customs papers are marked "steel tubing"....... just read between the lines, bud.

By marking the package that way, they are not telling a fib (as it IS steel tubing), and the dolts in Customs don't freak out seeing something as 'evil' as a firearms-related product. No sense making a fuss of it if you don't have to, right? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CV32

Post by CV32 »

deleted
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)