Powder lots and velocity

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Powder lots and velocity

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

Had an interesting experience lately loading for the 204 using BL-C(2). When I switched to a different can of powder velocities went down by about 200 fps. Everything else was the same: bullets, cases, primers, even the temperature was the same on the two different days. The older can from 1999 was right on published velocities, but the newer one from 2007 was much slower. I know of potential lot-to-lot variations, but this seems excessive to me. I've never encountered the like of it with other powders such as H4831, RL22, H335, RL15, W231 or Unique. I called Hodgden, but didn't have the lot numbers - got 'em now and will talk to them again on Monday...
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Powder lots and velocity

Post by glenn asher »

I've noticed it more with ball powders, including 335 and 231, but R-22 is bad about it, too. I think you just got lucky with your 231 and 335 :lol: R-22 is probably the worst powder for lot-to-lot variations that I've used, personally, but when it's running right, the performance is outstanding.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Re: Powder lots and velocity

Post by Steve V »

Got to agree with glen. Ball powders have been a problem in the past and stick powders seem pretty consistant. The one exception in ball powders for me has been AA2460 , which is real close to BLC2 in burn rate. I've used it for 15 years and every new lot shot dead on to the previous, even when I could see an obvious physical difference in the grains. H4895 and IMR 4895 are two other powders that I have had vvery very little deviation between lots over the years.