Looking for a new way...

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
hozz57

Looking for a new way...

Post by hozz57 »

...to bring a new .204 into the house.

Yep, I was on gun broker and happened to see a Savage FV-S in cal. .204 Ruger and thought that I'd check to see if someone would out-bid me...Nobody did.

I like the idea of a single shot action and I figure that I could find a take-off laminate stock to fit on it. Also like the the fact that I can swap barrels to either .223 rem or even a tripple deuce, something I've always wanted. :idea:

Now...what to tell the wife? :chin:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Looking for a new way...

Post by acloco »

Bring it in one piece at a time.

Or...disguise it as a piece of pipe.

Or....tell her you are fixing it for a friend.

Or....be a REAL man and give her HALF of the money it actually cost you....

Do not EVER tell them real price.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

It's a 3 in 1 rig. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
iKonic Status
.204 Ruger Guns: none...yet

Post by iKonic Status »

Hi hozz,

Nice purchase mate, sounds like you got a good deal there!!!

I would try a different tact from that of acloco, why not tell the missus over a nice romantic meal and a bottle of red wine and who knows....she might be supportive of your next purchase!?!? :wink:

Regards

iKonic
Ruger 77/22 .22lr

Savage 12 VLP .223rem

Howa/Hogue 1500 Varmint HB .308win
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Just tell her it's yours and that's the way it is, and if she gives you trouble, I'll back you up and let her know where the bear poops in the buckwheat.....by phone. Now, if you could help me out....
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Thanks Lee. I'm glad to know you've got my back. I've been thinking about making up a phony medical study that describes how owning more guns helps men become better lovers. I could post it on the web, and since everybody knows that "if its on the web it must be true"...They'll have to believe it. :lol:

This is my first centerfire Savage rifle, and I am hoping that it will shoot as good as my XR-100.
I've got 100 virgin cases loaded up with 25.1gr RL10x under some 39gr SBKs. These were some critter gitters for the XR-100 that I hadn't shot due to lack of arizona P-dogs. But they are seated long so I figure I'll do a seating depth test, set these up for .030" jump and see if they'll shoot.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

We're all in this together.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Just tell her that the Old Turtle said, "It's better to have it and not need it (if that's her attitude) than to need it and not have it"...

As an alternative,,,(if you're a wimp, like the rest of us) take an empty gun case out of the house for the purpose of selling it, or one of your other rifles, and bring it back from the gun dealer (full) with the statement that "There isn't any market for mine right now, so I'll hang on to it for a while"... :chin:

Now, if she's really gun savvy,,,,, Just fess up that it was too good of a buy to pass up.... She'll understand, if she "really loves you"... :eek:
AR
Factory/Factory
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Disclaimer: I would never knowingly advocate something that would help sneak a new gun into the house without the wife's prior approval.

Now, with that out of the way... As the weather improves, it's time to take a little trip to the range. You should probably bring along several guns so that you can exercise them thoroughly. Perhaps one of the gun cases leaves the house empty and comes home full. With so many guns, it would be really hard to tell if something like that happened.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

just tell her that, the guy who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!
and tell her that you are not a loser.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I like the old leave the house early to go hunting. Getting ready the night before is a must.Get all loaded up and hit the hay early. I'm sure the wife will NEVER notice that the gun case you packed was empty. Set the alarm for 6:00am and head on out in search for the best donut shop in town till the gun shop opens. DONT FORGET TO WIPE THE FROSTING OFF YOUR MUG AND EMPTY THE SPRINKLES OUT OF YOUR SHIRT POCKET. A fresh copy of Precision Shooting helps kill the time :lol: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/vi ... ?tid=55213

We were discussing this on another forum just in the past couple of days, Chad and I have it figured out :D

Of course, me being a cranky old bachelor, I don't have to sneak anything anywhere, no one to hide anything from, except myself. Oddly enough, this is a regular topic on gunny websites all the time :lol:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I picked up my new rifle yesterday and opted for the "wait 'til she goes to the store, then sneak it into the safe" method. The thing is if she looks in my safe it will be obvious that there is a new rifle in there. I need a bigger safe. :chin:

The rig looks OK although upon close inspection I found some scratches on the muzzle, my buddy Hal's lathe may come in handy. I bore-scoped it at a friends house and also lightened the trigger up a bit (1.5LBs). It came with a Millet 6.5-25X56 30mm tube scope that should work until I can afford better. The seller also threw in some factory ammo that he hadn't shot.

Hope to shoot it soon.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I have kinda got the same problem. I have $1750.00 in 20's rolled up in my gun safe waiting for the gun show on Saterday. Been saving for a while :D We were watching a shooting show the other night. Had an AR on there. I told her that was what I was going to get. She said she would shoot me with it if I brought it home. I don't plan on really getting an AR, but I was planing on bringing home a CZ17hmr AND a semi-auto pistol. I don't know if she would be angrier with 2 guns or the fact I have $1700 that se does not know about.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Va varminter wrote: I don't know if she would be angrier with 2 guns or the fact I have $1700 that se does not know about.
In my experience once they're angry the degree of anger is almost irrelevant :? :wink:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .