New guy with a new rifle....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Milehighmagoo
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 - Lightweight Varminter

New guy with a new rifle....

Post by Milehighmagoo »

Hey everyone,

I've been sniping around on this site for a couple weeks now and love the info. Thanks to everyone who contributes. I've got a few questions for anyone that has the time to answer them, so here goes.

Anyone hear good bad or otherwise about the new Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter that Savage introduced this year? Apparently its already in route to distributors, but hasnt made the self yet if you know what I mean. For the price, it seems like you get a lot of little things that otherwise would be extra with Remmington, etc... Not to say Remmington doesnt make a fine product, it does.

Next question...I've already put said Savage Model 25 on the order list with my local gun shop. Reading about it and viewing the ballistic charts, I've narrowed my lead to 2 choices: BK 39 grain and V-Max 40 grain. I'll probably shoot the V-Max 32 as well from time to time. Everyone seems to say that any Savage will throw the BK 39 just fine, but I've read others that say the Savage is a bit picky with the V-Max 40 grain and sometimes wont shoot it. Depends on the gun. Anyone have a preference with these 2? I like that out at about 500 yards, the V-Max brings 404 on the energy ballistics chart. Anyone know what the Sierra Blitz King does? Thanks in advance.
CCW: Bringing guns to knife fights since 1903
------------------------------------------------------
  • HK USP .40
    Springfield V10 Ultra Compact
    Glock 26
    Beretta Extrema2
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: New guy with a new rifle....

Post by greystone »

The Savage 25 in 204 has a 1 in 12 twist rate which can be borderline for 40 grain bullets. Some rifles shoot them fine while others don't. I also have a new 204 with the same twist and hopefully will try out some 40 grainers this weekend. Don't know what to expect. For most of my reloading I'll be using 34 and 35 grainers. Good luck
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Mile high

Big Savage fan here but I do not think much of the M-25 (sorry)

One of the best features of the standard Savage action is its modular. You can swap barrels, boltheads, almost at will. This of course means one rifle can be converted to almost any cartridge by you the owner without the need to pay or wait for a gunsmith. Theres quite a few custom barrel makers building complete finished ready to screw on tubes for Savages.
I have four Savage actions and nine barrels with another Shilen 6BR 8 twist on order.
I'm not totally sure of the extremes but you can convert a Savage action from 223 to 458 Winchester Magnum.

Unfortunately the new M-25 is not one of these actions and the barrel is pinned in place. The M-25 is not considered as strong as the standard Savage action either. It began life as a rimfire action and was beefed up to handle the 22 Hornet. It was then beefed up a little more to handle the 223 and 204.
I have no idea why Savage bothered improving this action beyond the 22 Hornet. I'll bet the 22 Hornet wasn't selling well but adding this to their line wasn't wise in my opinion.

It'll probably be an accurate rifle but theres no way to upgrade it easily.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I have only shot 39s in mine(12FV). It shoots in the .2xxs easily.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I've shot both in a couple of Savages. One rifle gives good results with both, the other rifle really shoots great with the 39's and dislikes the 40's. The BC of the the 39 is slightly better than the 40 so you would get the slightest downrange advantage with the 39. Loading data is interchangeable(always start below max and work up). The Vmax and the Nosler Btips seem to slightly more spectacular when they hit a prairie dog. Just my 2 cent opinion.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Mile high,
Welcome to the forum!
Don't forget we like pictures around here :lol:
Gary
Milehighmagoo

Post by Milehighmagoo »

Thanks everyone, when i go prarie dog shootin I'll be sure to bring my camera
  • HK USP .40
    Glock 26
    Beretta Extrema2
Milehighmagoo

Post by Milehighmagoo »

Im sure that's the case (Cant upgrade it), but I dont exactly want to. I want to keep it pretty stock, shooting a .204, and just buy more rifles when I want a bigger Cal. Thanks though...
  • HK USP .40
    Glock 26
    Beretta Extrema2
berettabob

Post by berettabob »

I purchased a Savage 12 BGTV with thumbhole stock in Ruger 204 a few months ago. I recently punched a 4 round one hole group at the 200 yard line with the 40 gr. VMax and 27.5 grains of Varget. This gun is an amazing shooter right out of the box.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

The May 2008 issue of Shooting Times ,starting on page 28 is the artical ( Varmints Beware: Savage's New Model 25 Is Out There) A person should read the artical before getting one.
berettabob

Post by berettabob »

From the title of the article it sounds like positive reading, yet your comment seems negative. I do not get this periodical, so could you provide your reason for the comment.