Gun Shops are Dangerous

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Iamsignal3

Gun Shops are Dangerous

Post by Iamsignal3 »

A buddy of mine was in the market for a new rifle .223 and after several days of gun searching, I took him to my favorite spot Ray’s Gun shop in Hillman. My friend ordered a new Remington 22-250 SPS and I fell in love with a Remington X-100 in .204 sitting on the wall. In my defense it had been there at least 2 years and was looking pretty lonely. Short on cash, elder college students the both of us but I did have a TC Encore in .204 that I loathed. Not a bad gun the TC, just breaking that thing open after every shot and having the barrel either hit the bench or rearranging the bags after every shot was way more then I could take. When we went back to get my buddies 22-250 the next week the .204 TC was in the back seat, I swear I could hear it whimpering softly. Ray said yes to a reasonable offer and I was the proud owner of a new Rem XR. Put on the 6 – 18 Nikon Buck master off of the TC and am waiting on a jar of Devcon steel putty from Midway now. My buddy now wants a .204 in the XR 100 after seeing mine dressed for success. Got a feeling I am going to have to go back in there, hope nothing else follows me home. Lucky I have dies, bullets, a jug of Bench Rest and other .204 gear from the TC but ordered some 39 BKs and more brass just to play with.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Gun Shops are Dangerous

Post by WrzWaldo »

Yes they are...

Almost had a Howa/Knoxx Axiom camo package rifle follow me home today.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/ho ... axiom.html

I have to drive right by it on the way to/from work every day. I don't think I have the will power to say no all week.

WW
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

WW, I'l Give you one or two days befor you pick up your new Howa. If you dont have it already :wink: have fun with your new toy. It's just one more gun after all.
Iamsignal3

Post by Iamsignal3 »

More ramblings,

Glass bedded the XR-100 with Devcon and got some trigger time today.
32 Gr V-Max, Rem 7 1/2, H322, Win cases = 1 1/2 groups
35 gr Berger, Rem 7 1/2, BenchRest, Win cases = 3/4 groups
39 gr Sierra BK, Rem 7 1/2, Varget, Win Cases = .3 groups :D
I can pretty much say that the 39 grain Sierra loads are where I am going to spend my money. Think that maybe I need to get the Berger bullets seated out farther as I have read they like to be near of in the lands. With it shooting the Sierra bullets so well maybe I will not even bother.
Traded in the Rock Chucker press for a Forester Co-Ax. I can't load as fast as I could with the RCBS press but my runout with the same dies is almost zero and that makes it worth it alone. Wish I would have gotten the Forester (Bonanza) years ago, I really like it.