Finally got my Baer

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Finally got my Baer

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'll post the reload data on Thursday. The Factory 223 loads OAL of 2.250 just barely fits into the mag. 2.300 just kisses the lands in my .223 with a Sierra 69 MK. I think the .204 will be about the same.

That little sucker just started to hiss as I snaped the picture :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Finally made it back to the range to finish breaking in my HDR. I had 30 rounds of factory ammo to shoot up.Cleaning after every 5 rounds. Got all set up and the same weather returned that I had last week, A rain snow mix :x . After shooting groups 1 and 2, I thought Not bad! After 3 and 4 I thought "what the heck went wrong". I looked at the barrel and the gas block was resting on top of my forearm stop :doh: . I dug my wrench out of my bag to remove it then shot groups 5 and 6. Notice how my point of impact changed. The only scope adjustments made were between groups 1 and 2. It'll be shootin hand loads from now on :!: I still didn't get any load data from Les Baer. Maybe Monday :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

Hey Mike-
Is that a left twist barrel. You seem to have a pattern that goes up and to the right instead of up and to the left. Several of your groups look like a weather report. Were you shooting with flags? In that nasty weather I would not bother to put out flags but there is a lot of horizontal in those groups.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Ray
It's a right twist. I'm sure groups 1-4 were effected by the full floated barrel resting on top of my forend stop(see pic).I didn't even notice it till my groups opened up.The piece of soft foam I put in the front rest hid it from me. Consistent rifle Cant was also a issue with the round forend. It's not like the flat bottom rifles I usually shoot. If I'm consistent, I'm sure the rifle will be. I was my worst enemy today. We'll keep practicing till we get it right.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

So did they tell you how to "purge" the gas tube? I bought some Cr-10 to deal with the copper but I do like the foaming cleaners because the Barnes doesnt come out blue. I never really know when ALL the copper is gone. I suppose if you only need be concerned with having fluid in the gas tube then a quick shot of compressed air would do? I figured your main concern would be leaving the Wipeout residue in there would allow it to eat away at the gas tube itself. ???
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

A rubber tipped air nozzle and some compressed air will do the trick. My Baer barrel is clean with 10 patches and 6 one way brush strokes with Butch's bore shine. No foam needed....Yet :assault: :assault:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)