Finally got my Baer

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Finally got my Baer

Post by Glen »

And now we know who is jealous too!! :cry:

:lol: :lol: I wouldn't trade my gainfully employed Wife or my grown up kids honestly. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Very COOL!! 8) 8) 8) I ordered my Les Baer Ulitmate .204 Super Varmint a few weeks back. I can't wait to get it in! My and bud both ordered one. I got a NightForce 5.5x22x56 waiting to ride the top rail. Very nice. Post some of your groups when you can!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Super 91
I'll be heading out to see what it will do with factory ammo in a few minutes. I'll try to get some 100,200,and 300 yard groups between cleaning sessions. Dont hesitate to get the Les Baer scope rings. They're nice pieces and can hold a 1" or 30mm tube. Steel bushings are used for 1".
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My first range trip was a success. I now know why they call the bipod a "Versa-pod", It doubles as a boat anchor :eew: . It's not even close to the steadiness of a Harris :!: . I managed to get 10 rounds down the pipe then couldn't get the pin out for a second cleaning. My hands were frozen so I packed it up. I was shooting in a rain,sleet and snow mix, With a gusty head wind. The top two targets are the Baer's and the bottom is from my 204 Predator. I bumped the scope after fox hunting today and needed to rezero :x .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Glen

Post by Glen »

She's a shooter!! :mrgreen: Looks like good shooting conditions to me!! :lol:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

You must be part polar bear. Nice shooting and a really nice looking rifle. They had several black rifles at Gander Mountain today. They even had some in .204 Ruger. It sure is tempting. If it wasn't for the 21' Mako center console that had my attention, I might have been distracted. I've been too far away from the water for far too long.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Froze up due to the extreme conditions? Looks a wee bit cool out there yesterday, but a beutiful day none-the-less. Looks like once you do the barrel break in, you might just have a shooter. Super looking rifle.

You mentioned you didn't care for the versa-pod. You prefer the Harris? I have several Harris and love them myself as well. I was going to ask if we could get the rifles without the versa-pod.

Looking good though!!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

If it wasn't for the cleaning sessions I would have been nice and cozy. The instruction manual says to clean after 5 shots till the 50 round mark :( . I also removed the Versa-anchor. It was like shooting off a spring board with wet spaghetti noodle legs. I wouldn't even put it on a rimfire :eek: let alone a Match rifle :doh: :doh: . They get a double DOH for that. I'll make a custom mount for a Harris in the next few days. Today is another day and the range is callin me in with a Rangepro caller :lol: . This time I'll be shooting off the bench with my Rock BR front rest and a rear bag. Even if I only get 10 more down the pipe, at least I get my fix :twisted:

I have a gas tube question: Does it require cleaning??? And is it ok to carefully blow air through it from the action end to get solvents or debris out ??
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Super91
The versa pod has too many places with a little slop. Add all the slop up and multiply by the leg length and it equals SUPER SLOP. All the slop is front to rear ,not side to side. That's why my groups have a vertical string.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

First let me say, Waldo You can probably keep my Pdog targets!!! If Hawkeye, of all people, has a Les Baer then I don't have a chance!!! I'm just jealous. I really, really wanted the Baer but just couldn't swallow that price tag. and Super91 is getting one too?!?!?!?
Hawkeye, as far as the gas tube goes, they do sell long pipe cleaners designed just for that but I was very happy to hear from several sources that they require no cleaning at all. I have well over 1000 rounds through mine and have done nothing with the gas tube. I figure if you start to have reliability problems then you know what to do first.
Also watch what you clean her with. Wipeout foam says specifically, not for gas operated semi-autos!
Congrats! That is a tack driver of the highest order. Anybody that can GUARANTEE 1/2 MOA out of the box has got to be darn serious about quality.
Did I mention that I AM JEALOUS?
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Rugerdogdog wrote:
Also watch what you clean her with. Wipeout foam says specifically, not for gas operated semi-autos!
I think the reason for warnings on the foam is because they don't want someone to to fill the gas tube with foam,Then try to shoot it. I'm going to give Les Baer a call because I have a few other questions. They also say "do NOT use hand loads" :?
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Hawkeye Joe wrote:
Rugerdogdog wrote:
They also say "do NOT use hand loads" :?
WHUT??!?!??! I seriously doubt I'll be buying all my ammo. I bought a boatload of reloading stuff for the .204, and you can bet your butt I'm going to reload for mine! I can't believe they would even say that! Let me know what their reaction to your questions are. I sure hope I can get them to take the versa-anchor off as I have plenty of good pods.
Glen

Post by Glen »

The "No hand loads" probably comes from damage due to excess bolt slammimng from higher than necessary pressures from near max/max loads. Just a guess on my part. I'm not an HDR owner either. :idea:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I talked to a very knowledgeable female at Les Baer today and she confirmed my thoughts on Bore Foam. It's ok to use as long as you purge the gas tube. I'm sure a hydraulic gas tube wouldn't be fun :lol: . She also said Les will give me some reload data for the .223 and .204 WHEN he gets back from the Shot Show on Thursday.

Look what I found on my porch when I got home from work today :eek: . Screw the dog ,BEWARE of Possum :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Yeah, dem suckers got the most teeth of any mammal in North America! I'm glad they just prefer the hiss and play dead most of the time. Looks like a good target for the .223!!!!

Good to hear they are going to suggest some re-loads. I'm betting the OAL might be the crucial factor since it does have to feed properly.