Browning/Winchester pulls .204s????

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Super 91

Browning/Winchester pulls .204s????

Post by Super 91 »

Guys, I bought 2 Stainless Stalkers in .204 last year for me and my best friend. We shot them some, and accuracy was just so-so with the 34 grain Winchester factory loads. I reloaded and got a little better. My bud bought some Fed premium 39 grain blitzs and the gun started throwing the bullets sideways at 25 yards. I boxed both guns up and sent them back to Browning for them to look over.

I called the other day and they said both guns were defective and they were sending me a catalog and a credit to pick out my new rifles. I got on their web-site and there are no more .204's listed on either Browning or Winchester!!

Any idea why they pulled the whole line-up??
jo191145

Re: Browning/Winchester pulls .204s????

Post by jo191145 »

No idea why they would discontinue the 204.
Sure would like to know more about their findings of defect though. The bk's have always eventually gone squirrely for me in every barrel I've tried them in. I'm not alone in that regard either. My first barrel keyholed them with regularity. They self destruct in my other tubes.
Not necessarily knocking the Sierras though. They perform quite nicely for many. If they work for you shoot em. If not move on.

Any chance you can get your defective guns back? FWIW My opinion, its not the gun. Read a post of a 204 shooter having them come apart out of a custom Shilen barrel at normal velocity's.

Either way they should be able and willing to hook you up. You sent them two 204's and you want two 204's returned.
I'd pressure them quick while theres still hope theres some left on the open market.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

I asked and they said they were not returning the firearms as it was my thought to send them somewhere and re-barrel them. They just said credit was on it's way to me and to pick out my new gun. So I did and it's not a Browning. I ordered a Les Baer Ultimate .204 Super Varmint. So I won't be trying to get the Brownings back any more. I just wonder why they pulled the whole line from both companys.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I think they were a limited run, to test the waters, and now they have decided not to jump in. The A-bolts are being replaced by another rifle, so they probably don't want the headaches of messing around with something they're not making any more (rude way to do business, not supporting your product, if you ask me!)
I'm not sure the folks running Browning/Winchester are the smartest guys in the business :lol: but they sure seem willing to irritate customers and take big risks with their products and marketing. Sometimes they seem almost suicidal in a business sense, seems to me.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

My dealings with Browning have been more than undersireable. I had a Citori my dad gave me that was built in 1952 redone by Browning. The metal work was perfect. The finish on the wood was bad, and the bead sight was total crap. I sent the gun back 6 times till they got it right. Simple crap I could have done myself, but I paid to have it done right but they just didn't seem to care.

I'm not sure why I continue to buy their products. Seems I always come out on the short end of the stick. I'll learn one day. maybe :wall: