Ws2 test

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Lee C.

Ws2 test

Post by Lee C. »

I tryed this to see who my accuracy would hold up with coated 35 and 40gr berger bullets. I shoot 128 rounds and only ran a dry clean patch down the barrel at about 60 rounds. The last 21 shoot test i did was trying for a new seating depth. out of shooting 7 different groups for this test. I stell had a group that was .244 witch was the best i did. If we had pdogs here i know about what i could get away with now. And the copper wasn't as bad as if i had shoot about 35 rounds of naked bullets. But i'm stell going to stay with when ever i use a gun i clean it. just the way i am. I'l be useing this ws2 on all my bullets from now on. For you guys that haven't tryed yet you should.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: Ws2 test

Post by Vartarg »

Thanks for the report. It reminds me:

Hey, WW.....what's up with the availability of WS2? I checked the website and it's still "coming soon."

I'm really looking forward to giving it a try....thanks, George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

I have another 10 pounds on the way.
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Lee, I know what you mean about cleaning your rifle after each firing.

I have done a couple of tests with the WS2 but I haven't shot more than 50 at a session so I don't know how they'll perform past that. I cleaned my rifle mainly because it is not stainless. I have heard that molly can trap moisture and cause corrosion. I don't know how WS2 works, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

hozz57, This test was to find out how my accuracy would hold up and to see if i would get a buildup like molly gives you in a barrel. I use molly 50gr. bullets in my stainless 22-250. But like you i wouldn't use them in a non stainless barrel. I'll be useing the ws2 in the 22-250 after i use up the molly bullets i have for it right now.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Lee C.
WS2 will not build upon itself like moly does. This is one of its attributes compared to moly.
As to switching a barrel from moly to WS2. Yes it can be done but it usually takes a lot of cleaning and shooting.. Moly and WS2 are not considered compatible. You should not be plating them in the same drum for one.
A lot depends how much moly is built up in your barrel and how much you can actually get out before switching.
If you experience coppering perhaps even severe coppering its because the two do not mix well.
Fortunately it doesn't hurt to try. The WS2 will clean out pretty easy compared to moly if you decide to give up on switching.
Of course its also quite possible the switch will go without a hitch.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

jo191145, Thanks for the heads up on the switching over from moly to ws2. I've been useing kroil penetrating oil and cr-10 to clean the moly out of the 22-250. And it seems to work pretty good for me. I've stell got about 200 rounds of the moly bullets to use up yet. But i'l watch it close when i do switch over.