Rifle

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rifle 223
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Rifle

Post by Rifle 223 »

I need to add weight to my rifle any ideas it weighs 8 lbs. 14 oz. has a synthetic, Black stock.
Add up to 1 1/2 to 2 lbs if I can.
Dale in OK
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Re: Rifle

Post by savage rookie »

3000 bb's (like the ones your red ryder shoots) and expanding foam (like for sealing air drafts) worked well for me. 1500 bb's=about 1.25 lbs
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

oh yeah I forgot to add how to do it.

First off, the foam will come with a long nozzle. Remember to shake it well (the can, not the nozzle).

Take off the recoil pad and reinstall the screws that hold it on. Make sure that the stock will stay nose down throughout the process. Pour in a thrid of the bb's and then insert the nozzle as far into the bb's as you can. Only spray enough foam that it starts to show through the bb's. This stuff expands alot so don't over do it or you won't have enough room for rest of the bb's.

Let the foam expand and cure, and then repeat the process until your buttstock is full. It's smart to wrap tape around the end of the stock to keep the foam off of the outside of the stock. It is removable, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Also, do not reinstall the recoil pad until the foam is completely expanded and cured. The foam needs O2 to work. It will cure (harden) but it won't expand, so you'll have a buttstock with a rattle to it. Trust me I know.

If you do overspray the foam it is easy to sand down or cut with a kitchen knife so your recoil pad fits.

SR
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

R223: Savage Rookie gave you good advice on a proven method. I'll just add an anternative to the steel BB's; use #6 lead shot or what you happen to have on hand to give it a bit more weight compared to steel. You may also want to drill another hole in the buttstock, about 7/8" diameter for the addition of weight, that way you'll not fill up the stock screw holes in case you ever want to remove it for any reason (if a two piece stock).

If you want weight in the forearm to offset the heavy butt to properly balance the rifle, use your Dremel tool to machine a long channel in the bottom of the forearm, add weight, then seal it up with Accra-Glass Gel to keep it in place. For experimenting with weight, just put tape over both the buttstock and forearm BB's to get the new feel, add or subtract weight as wanted for balance.

Many stocks have a large bore hole in the butt from the factory, if yours is one of them, you're about home free.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rifle 223
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Rifle 223 »

I put a 8.9 mercury recoil suppressor in the butt stock and I have one other cavity where I put the suppressor that I can add lead to. I will add some weight to the front first to see how it works. Just trying to cut down on some of the recoil of the rifle because I'm a small fellow. Will the mercury suppressor work instead of more lead?

Thanks
Dale in OK