Hello, am new here, and looking for opinions.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
nemotrapper
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Hello, am new here, and looking for opinions.

Post by nemotrapper »

Hello everybody, I have been wanting to get a 204 for a long time and I have finally talked the wife into buying me one with her taxes. Anyway I have been searching the internet for a while now trying to decide which rifle I would like to get. I have never owned a savage for the simple fact that I always thought that they wasnt very good, but the more I have been reading on the net the more I am thinking about trying one out. I keep hearing how accurate they are right out of the box. I was first set on getting a ruger or remington but now I am not sure. I was just looking for some opinons on what you guys thought would be a good rifle to get.
Thanks
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Hello, am new here, and looking for opinions.

Post by glenn asher »

Howdy and welcome! If you need any proof that Savages shoot well, do a search of the Postal Match results and look at Hawkeye Joe's targets, shot with a factory Savage rifle. They are eye-openers. (granting they were shot in Savage's premier rifle, but boy howdy, they look good!)
I've been shooting Savage varmint rifles for several years now, and really don't even look too hard at the other brands now. They DO take some getting used to, but they break-in nicely and shoot very well for the dollars spent.
If you're looking for a sporter weight rifle, DO look at CZs, Howas, and Ruger, Remington and all the others, too, it's your money, after all, but for the heavy barrelled guns, I like the Savages.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

I AM NO EXPERT and was in your shoes last spring. I spent the dough and picked up a Savage M12 LRPV in .204. Picked it up for $875 from my FFL including tax.... I have NEVER regretted it and have sense bought another savage! I am sure if you do a search on the same question "should i buy a savage or not" you will see there are very FEW that say many bad things about new Savage's. I LOVE MINE and my Savage out shoooooots my buddy's 3 other brands all day long!!!!!! It will shoot under 1/2" all day long if I do my part. Don't get me wrong there are many fine Rem's, Howas, CZ's, ect ect ect, all make really good guns! Go to a gun show or gun shop and hold a few different makers and pick out one that YOU LIKE! Good luck with the decision and welcome to the forum a lot of guys have A LOT of info on this site. Good People! -dan
Last edited by dannybracy on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

I am just getting started with a Savage M12 Long Range Precision Varminter and I am very impressed. Early in the load development process and I've already gotten some 1/2" 5 shot groups. The trigger was 1/2 pound out of the box and crisp. If it isn't the best varmint rifle you can get without spending a lot more money I'd need to see proof.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Four Savage actions, Nine barrels with #10 on order (6BR), Six stocks and one barrel wrench. Life is good.
Do they still make Remchesters? :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Welcome to the forum Nemotrapper, The last 4 rifles that came home with me have been savage. And I've yet to be sorry about getting any of them. My 204 is a 12fv and can shoot some pretty nice groupes when i do my part. I'm looking at anether 204 and it well be a savage also. But good luck on what ever you get.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

A few years ago, when the .204 first came out, I wanted one, but wasn't going to invest a lot of money in a relative 'unknown' caliber.

Several of my friends were looking at the CZs, etc. and to be honest, compared to those, the Savage 116 (Weather Warrior) was pretty homely. (I've always been a wood and blue steel person)..

I ordered and received the Savage and a hundred rounds of Hornady 40gr ammo and all of us went to the range to 'break in' our respective firearms....

Needless to say, that plain little lightweight Savage would shoot rings around all those 'pretty' things, regardless of who was shooting it (yes, we swapped, just to be sure).. :lol:

Today, it is the only bolt action I own. :wall:

Since then, it has been partially responsible for the demise of several hundred Prairie Dogs and won a few bucks in impromptu competitions.... :lol:
AR
Factory/Factory
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I guess a welcome is the only thing I can add to this post. 8) Welcome to the forum Nemo
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

The last two Savages I've had were disappointing to say the least. I'm going to say it was just rotten luck. The last was a Model 16 in .204 which has been back to the factory twice. After a new barrel it is now producing acceptable groups. I know people who love them and people who don't. You may be one of those who gets the better one, good luck.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Sub-caliber
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 Varmint, 2 Howa 1500 Varmint, CZ 527

Post by Sub-caliber »

I had two Savage SSTH Varmint rifles. The 22-250 was a read shooter, sub-caliber shot groups, but would constantly jam the third round. The 204 would open up after 6-8 rounds. I sent the rifle back to Savage with instructions that if it did not shoot 1/4" or less shot group to return my money. They test fired the rifle and concluded that the barrel was a definate problem. They returned the rifle with the new barrel, great service, with a 1/4'"shot group test fire chart. After barrel break-in the 204 opend up after 6-8 shots just likle the previous one. I sold the 204 also and replaced it with a Howa 1500 Supreme Varminter SSTH. Needless to say, the Howa 204 performs flawlessly with consistant sub-caliber shot groups when I do my part. While I have many other rifles, incuding cutom built rifles, Howa's in various calibers have proved many times to be the best and most accurate rifle for the money. Good luck and good hunting with whatever you chose; be safe.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

You'll have to let us know what you pick for a rifle, and I always enjoy looking at pics of them too!

Also, LEE C, i sent ya a PM but I was wondering what kind of groups you were getting outta your 12FV and what its pet loads are? Thanks!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223