Opinions Wanted - Ballistic Software

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Opinions Wanted - Ballistic Software

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm going to upgrade my old version of RCBS's "Load", and wonder what everyone now considers the best ballistic software on CD.

Any and all opinions welcome. Whatcha' think guys? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Opinions Wanted - Ballistic Software

Post by acloco »

RIO - might want to check on snipershide - they are several dedicated long range shooter's over there.

Also check on longrangehunting.com - for obvious reasons. Kirby Allen hangs out there....and has some great stories on long range rock chucks with some unworldly cartridges (Kirby Magnums!).
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

If your looking for just exterior ballistic stuff the PointBlank is pretty slick.

If you want internal/exterior I like Load From A Disk (you can download a demo before purchase). ---> http://www.loadammo.com/regdemo.htm

WW

Edit: QL also has a demo download. ---> http://www.neconos.com/QL_DEMO.EXE
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

QuickLoad is my current favorite by far. Not cheap at $150, but is truly remarkable. Since I know you are an experienced loader I recommend it. It is not for a novice loader, and is not much use unless you also own and use a chrono.
When done so, and all parameters are tweaked in, the program is fascinating. H20 (fired case)capacity, burn rate adjustment are a couple of the things you need to set.

If you are familiar with OBT, (optimal barrel tuning) a formula written by Chris Long, Quickload is uncanny at matching the barrel times with the formula. This burn time is measured in milliseconds, and the table gives you calculated times for barrel lengths from 16" thru 36" in 1/2" increments. I've done about twelve rifles with it so far, and eleven have matched his node prediction almost exactly.

If you do a lot of wildcatting, QL is a huge asset. The other features are too many to mention here, but another handy one is it's ability to predict the most suitable powders for a particular chambering. The powder and bullet library is quite extensive. When asking the program to predict a powder, the user has the ability to choose the criteria he wishes. i.e. Velocity, pressure, barrel time, load density % etc.

I could go on and on, but you can research it yourself. There is also a review write up on the 6mmBR site.

Mike
Factory Custom
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Rick,

As you know I am a big fan of Horus.

They have offered chip for hand held pda that you enter ballistics data into and take it with you.

If you have weather meter like Kestrel 4000, you can change information on fly. Also generates therefore a local come up chart for existing atmospheric conditions.

Works beautifull in heavy wind eg 20 knots like at Winter SD a few years back. Partner (Savage VP) couldn't keep his table up, but your bench with .260 Remington on M70 allowed me to hit them with solutions from system.

http://www.horusvision.com/
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Hi Rick
I also use Quick Load. I certainly don't claim to be an expert with it but am learning as I go. As noted above, using actual chronograph data and feeding it back into the program works like a charm. Highly recommended.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

RIO.....I'd 2nd the Quickload/Quick Target program. A lot of Cartridge/powder/ bullet choices..............plus you can build your own cartridge from a reamer print and get real close case volumes. Quick target olnly reachs out to I belive 2500yards. Olher programs go another 1000 yards or so to 3500/3600 yrds for a click adj chart.
Hope this helps. I'm on my 2nd version to the 204 Ruger listed.
Later
PM me if you need to know more,
Ray P :mrgreen:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for all the suggestions to the forum members; much appreciated. It appears I need to again check out Quick Load.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Considering your expertise, I don't think you will be happy with anything except Quick Load.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em