New Remington 700 LVSF Loading and Jamming problems

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

New Remington 700 LVSF Loading and Jamming problems

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Finely got my new Remington LVSF took it out and fired it. It didn't take long to sight it in but the gun jammed a lot and I had a hard time getting the shells into the magazine they hung up and would set crooked. Being there is no floor plate it is harder to deal with than my Rugers. The skinny little shells some times pop up on me in my Ruger and cause jams. The Remington seems to have the same problem. After shooting about a dozen rounds it seemed to be getting better. Is any body out there having problems with there Remington 204's jamming or with the stacking of shells in the magazine. I am going to break the rifle down and see if they put the magazine plate or spring in backwards.
Last edited by Ryan S Albright on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: New Remington 700 LVSF Loading and Jamming problems

Post by skipper »

I don't have a Remington 700 in 204 Ruger but, the problem you are describing is inherent to the 700s. Make sure that all the cartridges are set as far back in the magazine well as possible so that the base of each shell is touching the back of the well. Use two fingers to load the shells, one pushing near the base and one near the shoulder. Hope this helps you.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Skipper has hit the case on the head.

Wait until you shoot a 223AI through a factory rem follower/magwell. OH what fun THAT is!
Ryan S Albright

How come I never herd any thing about this before! Remington 700 is supposed to be the Riflemans rifle! Well now the fun starts I really like the light weight of this rifle and the stock. What do I polish to get this thing working smoothly. I saw a man lap the bolt on a rifle by just putting polishing grit on the lugs of the bolt and working it back and forth a few times. do I need to break out the drimmel and some lapping compond and polish the ramp and the edges of the magazine ramps.
Ryan S Albright

Ok I broke the rifle down and hit it all over with break free and fatiqued the magazine spring the best I could. It seems better already. Tomorrow I will try it out again.
Ryan S Albright

Ok it works fine now the rifle was used but only fired a few times I don't think they ever cleaned the original storage coating off of it. After cleaning the magazine and inside bolt area the shells stripped off much better. I went out today and sighted the rifle in it didn't take long at all and it shoots both the 32gr vmax and the 40gr vmax's loads that I use in my Rugers just fine. I'am just going to have to learn to work with loading the blind magazine.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

I've got the same promblem in a 700. It feeds fine until I get to the last shell in the mag. The tip of the bullet hits way under the ramp. :wall: It's really aggravating.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

About 35 years ago there was a very good writer by the name of Bob Milek. His specialty was hand gun hunting, but he was also very knowledgeable about rifles. Unfortunately he died at a relatively early age from leukemia.

One time he wrote an article on how to "tune" a new factory rifle. One item he mentioned that just about all factory rifles needed was for the owner to insure that the magazine follower moved freely and level up and down in the magazine box. If it didn't, he prescribed that the mag box be cleaned very well to get rid of any grease that might be in it from production and to "dress up" the sides of the magazine follower on an oiled fine grit whet stone to remove any small burs, etc. left from production. Once the mag follower moved freely up and down in the mag box while in place in the rifle, it should feed fine.

I have done this religiously on factory rifles ever since then.....it takes maybe 15 minutes to do, and it has kept me from having any of these "inherent" feeding problems with internal magazines on factory rifles made by anyone....

Since this information is @ 35 years old, maybe that also says something about the quality of factory rifles over the years ..... and maybe there never was a "golden era" when factory rifles were free from quirks and itches that needed scratched..

-BCB
Ryan S Albright

Thanks for the info guys. I just need to learn my rifles. This was an easy fix. I do want to learn more gun smithing skills. In a few years I might be able to attend Mount Lassen comunity collage's smithing classes.