204 Barrel Length?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
chasinElk

204 Barrel Length?

Post by chasinElk »

Has anyone used a (204 cal )barrel longer then 26" -(27-28) and checked the Velocity??
"Speed is nothing without controll"
rayfromtx

Re: 204 Barrel Length?

Post by rayfromtx »

Mine is 28" and I have checked the velocity. What do you want to know. I almost always use a chrono. I have had velocities ranging from 3700 to 4250. I have an 11 twist with polygonal rifling. Which of the many bullet and powder combinations are you interested in? I was shooting 35 grain bergers at 4250 but the load was hot enough to loosen the primer pockets in 4-5 firings with WW brass.
chasinElk

Post by chasinElk »

Ray-Did you notice a velocity increase from your 28" barrel compared to that of a 26" barrel? How much?
"Speed is nothing without controll"
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

I don't have a 26" 11 twist barrel with polygonal rifling and even if I did, different powder combinations would test differently. Some might even be slower in the longer barrel theoretically. The 26" barrel will be fine. Pacnor told me to expect 25 fps per inch in velocity increase but I think they were just being patient with my questions and had no real way of knowing. It would take testing with different load combinations and identical barrels. I haven't seen where anyone has done that yet for the 204 with my specific parameters.

Mine will be a 26" someday. I expect it to be a 20" someday as it is a straight contour and I will have a friend set it back and rechamber it at some point. Maybe.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

chasin': There is a site you can Google that ran tests of Contender barrels chambered in 204 from very long to very short. Can't recall the site, but if you Google "204 Velocity" it will come up. Very interesting, but remember that as with all things, you'll reach the "Law of Diminishing Returns", and length versus practicality and velocity will surface.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

Try http://www.bullbery.com for the velocity versus barrel length. They started with 24 inches and went to 12 inches. They claim that 23 inch was the best in their tests.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I've read where the 22 1/2" barrel is optimum also. I know it wasn't on the internet & I think it may have been in Shooting Times but don't hold me to that. CRS sets in on the days when I would like for it to go away. :mrgreen: But at any rate Rick is right on again in his account of this>>Very interesting, but remember that as with all things, you'll reach the "Law of Diminishing Returns", and length versus practicality and velocity will surface.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

It's gonna depend on the powder and load and bullet and twist and other variables.