Ruger 77 target

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

Ruger 77 target

Post by GlennGTR »

Im thinking of my next 204 in the Ruger 77 target but Ive noticed that most of you are shooting Remingtons or Savage.I was talking to a gun smith about acurizing my 260 but he said, "Theres not much that can be done for a Ruger.Like theyre inferior or somthing.Would I really be making a mistake by getting the Ruger target? Are there smiths who know how to work on Ruger actioned rifles?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ruger 77 target

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: There's nothing inferior about a M77, MK-I, or Hawkeye, or a Ruger single shot, period. Many smiths don't like to work on them compared to Remington's, as the Ruger bolt guns use their angled front guard screw, and it's a bit of a different animal, but certainly not inferior.

All my Ruger bolt and single shot guns have been bedded and floated by myself, triggers replaced with Canjar's, Timney's, Moyer's etc., and all of them shoot sub MOA. If that's inferior, I guess I'll just live with it. :| My Ruger's shoot right alongside my other "quality" rifles. Make no excuse for carrying or shooting a Ruger rifle, they are as good as any other make out there, and better than some others I'll not name here for worry of offending others.

If you're handy with tools in the shop, just bed and float it yourself if you get the M77 Target. There are instructions all over the net, and replacing the trigger with a good aftermarket unit is not hard at all, plus you'll gain experience and confidence when it's done, as I guarantee it will shoot better than out of the box. Ruger's new trigger is better than previous models, so you may feel it's okay as-is. Get out the Accra-Glass Gel, some sandpaper and a rasp, and head for the bench.

You can do it! ;)

By the way, I've got a No.1 in 223, and a M77V in 220 Swift that I got from friends because they "would not shoot." After an evening in my shop, both shoot sub MOA with my handloads, and neither former owner is getting them back! :lol:

Here's the M77 Varmint 220 Swift proving she's a real shooter after a bit of shop time.....consistent 3/8" groups at 100 yards with Nosler 55gr BT's at almost 3700 fps (Skippy hates this one!).

Tell you what Glenn, if you don't want to do the accuracy work yourself after you get the new VT, PM me, and I'll give you the names of two smiths here that both work on Ruger rifles that I've had do work for me in the past. Both are top notch guys, and I recommend them both highly.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

race4hills

Post by race4hills »

GlennGTR
I am happy with my Ruger VT right out of the box!
It will shoot less than 1/2" 5 shot groups with 39gr BK's and right at 1/2'' with factory 32 Hornaday's. You may not need to do anything at all. I have 5 Rugers and like them all. :D
204 try it you'll like it!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

race4hills: Like I said....there's nothing inferior at all with Ruger rifles!

Sometimes they work right out of the box like yours, and no need to dink with it at all! Have you tried some good handloads in yours yet? If it shoots factory fodder that well, I'd bet it will be a tack driver with good loads tailored to that rifle. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

race4hills

Post by race4hills »

Rick, The 39gr BK's is a handload, the groups are normaly four all touching with one about half a hole to a hole away. Tacks would be in deep wood. :lol:
204 try it you'll like it!
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

glenngtr, I've had quite a few of the older tang 77 VT's (like ricks) and 2 of the MKII's, both in .204. All have been real shooters, the only dogg ruger I have ever had was a bicentennial in 22-250 (not a VT). Nothing would make it shoot .The first MKII VT was replaced by ruger after blowing it up. After almost 30 years of having the original 77 vt, I could not come to grips with the heavy, ungainly beavertail stock they slap on 'em now. So I changed it out and am happy once again (feels more like the original 77 VT I have come to love). The MKII 2-stage target triggers take some getting used to, but you come to love 'em. No need to replace with a canjar. However if you feel the need to replace, RifleBasix makes a single stage aftermarket.

As a side note To Rick, I have a leupy 25x spotter(w/hairs) like in your pic. I replaced the flimsy, rubber wind-catcher obj. cover with a screw-in Alumina 50mm cover. Mucho better-o.... Try it, you'll like it.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Forgot to add, the Target-Grey finish is awesome......Don
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I know of three out of the box Ruger 77 VT 204 rifles that fired 1/2 inch groups with factory 32 Gr bullets. If you get one try handloading the 39 Gr bullet. I have two old tang safety Rugers ,one a 22-250 ,the other a 220 Swift. I glass bedded the actions ,free floated the barrels , and adjusted the triggers on each of them. Both are 1/2 inch at 100 yard shooters with hand loads.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

huntsman: Thanks for the thought of the Leupold Alumna flip-cap for my 25X Lupy spotter, but it has worn one for almost a year now since that photo of my M77 Swift was taken.

(Great minds DO think alike! :wink: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA