Need a backup rifle.....any suggestions?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Need a backup rifle.....any suggestions?

Post by dannybracy »

Hello All, I was wondering if some of you could help me. I got the chance to shoot at Prairie dogs and got the fever and became hooked.
I have a Savage LRPV in .204 w/ a Luepy VX-L on top and love it. However I need(WANT) a backup for it. I am sure i want it to be another .204 b/c i love it's performance. My girlfriends dad has 2 Rem. 700's in .223 but I like my .204.
So here is my question, what do you guys recommend/like for your setup for a varmint rifle. I love the accuracy of my LRPV and that it will shoot under and inch at 100 yards all day long. When I got my LRPV i was also interested in the CZ's for their trigger. I would like a heavy barrel and I like the stainless look. I am thinking maybe another savage w/ a little weaker price tag or a cz.
If anyone reading has an "extra" rifle around that I might be interested in (.204, stainless, sub-MOA shooter) let me know. And thank you in advance for your input on a rifle I should look into for my backup. I think I am definitely addicted to shooting and all that it involves(load development, cleaning, etc.). Thanks again guys! -Dan Bracy
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: Need a backup rifle.....any suggestions?

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

A Remington 700 in 223 is usually an accurate rifle. My synthetic varminter (24" heavy bbl) shoots 9/16" @ 100 yds consistently at 3400 fps and is a joy to shoot. Good prairie dog/whistle pig medicine.
No Quarter

Post by No Quarter »

How about a Howa? I don't have one but I've read good things.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=86062862
Chuck
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

I have been looking at that Howa too! I like that they are all handsome looking would be hard to pick which one, anybody shoot them? How about in the .223? What twist and what gr. of pill? What are the Howa triggers like?, need aftermarket triggers put in?
I am hooked on the 40gr VMax, that is what my LRPV loves! I wouldn't mind a .223 but the .204 seems to shoot so much flatter in the 250-300 range that we are mostly at. I had a hit w/ my .204 at 465 and it took 2 dial in shots b/c i kept shooting over them........ended up only holding about 4 inches over one laying down. And the .223 was holding about 10 inches over and still shooting low. How about it Howa guys....any info? THANKS! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Danny: All your Howa questions have been discussed in a post a while back, posted by gwglave, who lives here in central Oregon. He has a couple of them, and they are both tack drivers.

Search back a bit, and you'll see his posts....alot of good info on the Howa you're asking about.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I really like my Savage 12VLP. It will shoot 3 shots under a dime at 100 yards as well. It is less expensive than your LRPV. It is a heavy rifle. I too like the 204 over the 223 as it has less recoil and it out performs the 223. I am after a lighter carry weight 204. I have CZ 527 in 223 and it is a great rifle. Love the trigger. The CZ Kevlar in 204 is in strong consideration for me as well as the 11GCNS. I would like a plain jane accurate coyote rifle. I'm always afraid I am going to scratch up my purdy CZ stock.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

danny,
I was a die hard Remington fan till I bought my first Savage with the Accu-Trigger. They are a great gun for the money and you can get them in a variety of models. However, I bought a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 and would not want to part with it. It's a handy carry gun and also a great bench gun with the single set trigger. I have personally killed coyotes out to 332 yards with the 39 SBK and a friend of mine's hunting partner killed one at 400 yards. Same gun and hand loads I'm shooting. If I ever had to give up my guns, the CZ would be the last to go.

Different guns appeal to different people, follow your heart, there are a lot of good guns out there and get the one that appeals to you. It' like buying a truck, if you have to pay for it and drive it, then get what you want even if it cost a little more.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Hard to beat the Savage for value. You can get the 11(skinny barrel) or 12(varmint barrel) for $400 to 500 Most anywhere and have a good shooter with accu-trigger. Down the road you can switch barrels and bolt heads to change caliber and nicer stocks are available from many sources. Makes that back up gun real versatile.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I had a Howa .223, and it was a real trooper. Triggers should probably be replaced, though, they are "hard to use" right out of the box, without some work to them. Timney is the only replacement trigger I'm aware of, for Howas. I just traded the old .223 off, about a month ago, for a very nice .270 Howa.
I'm with the gang that's pushing the Savages, though, you're used to them, and know what to expect. I like that VLP, too, they are very nice. Get what you like, either .223 or .204, and be a happy customer. Nothing wrong with either one.
I also use CZs, and have nothing but respect for them. My suggestion would be to handle each brand, and see which one's hollering "Buy me" the loudest. The CZs, even the heavy barrels, are a bit light for hardcore PDoggin', but they sure are nice.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Tommy Longspurs
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Tommy Longspurs »

I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. I knew i wanted a 204 but there was to many to choose from. I got a friend that owns a gun shop and will let me shoot anything that is used, so i took a couple of used 204 he had out to shoot. Loved the Kimber 84 laminate and was pretty much set on it. I took my money to bring "her" home and he wanted me to shoot a used CZ 527 traded the day before. Bought a new CZ and nikon scope for less than the Kimber. I went to sight it in and it shot a .6 three shot group with the first the shells. Dialed the scope in and it will shoot .4 inch groups all day. Got about 60 down the tube and have not cleaned it once. My friend told me not to clean it until the groups start to spread. Never heard that but he has shot BR for 15 yrs so i guess he know more than me.

Dont think you would be disappointed in a CZ. The set trigger is sweet too.
CZ 527 Varmint Walnut, Nikon Buckmasters BDC 6x18x40
Federal 39g BlitzKing
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Hotshot wrote:Hard to beat the Savage for value. You can get the 11(skinny barrel) or 12(varmint barrel) for $400 to 500 Most anywhere and have a good shooter with accu-trigger. Down the road you can switch barrels and bolt heads to change caliber and nicer stocks are available from many sources. Makes that back up gun real versatile.

Nuff said ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

As far as a light carry rifle in 204, my Ruger MKII sporter does'nt weigh much and if I do my job the rifle will group 1-2" at 200 on calm cloudy days . But I had to put a Timney trigger in it because the Ruger factory was pretty bad and I really need to bed the stock to sturdy it up a bit. I think I only paid $400 for it new last summer. I does seem to be a fast pointer that comes to the shoulder quick for those coyote/coon pop-up shots when you're walking home by brushy areas around alfalfa fields. (Another story) :)
fredbeer
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by fredbeer »

Maybe I got hold of a bad one, but the Howa in .204 Ruger shot terrible. I shot hand loads and factory. The best group was with factory, .92. Other than the accuracy, the Howa is a fine rifle, very well made. Traded the thing on a Savage 12 FV which shoots 1/2" groups consisently. Best so far is .310. Still working on loads.

I think the .204 is a superb round. My next .204 could be a Cz Varmint.
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Thank you very much for all your info guys!!! I appreciate it! Will let you know what i decide!
***Danny Bracy***

joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

You should try a AR in .204, you might like it. I have 2 now and have a custom 6BR upper ordered for the long shots. All it takes is 2 pins and you have a whole new caliber cool and ready to shoot.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.