Rem SPS .204 Varmint??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Ohlsen

Rem SPS .204 Varmint??

Post by Ohlsen »

Any shooting one of these? Any feedback?

Thanks, Tom
visigoth
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Re: Rem SPS .204 Varmint??

Post by visigoth »

I picked one up earlier this year. I topped it off with a Burris 6.5-20X FFII (AO), and Leupold rings and bases. As most people have found, the factory Hornady ammo shoots great, in both the 32 and 40 gr versions (under .5" at 100 yards). I have been working up loads with both Reloder 10x, and H335 for the 39 gr blitzking, and can reliably shoot around .3" all day long. I replaced the trigger with a nice Jewell HVR, currently set around 10oz (had to buzz the stock in a few places with the moto-tool).

I plan to replace the stock with a nice laminated A5 knock-off. Overall, I am very pleased with rig.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

I free floated the barrel on my SPS Varmint (17RFB) only to find that the barrel was keeping the stock straight! Took a bit of work to get it (the stock) trued up.
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

WrzWaldo wrote:I free floated the barrel on my SPS Varmint (17RFB) only to find that the barrel was keeping the stock straight! Took a bit of work to get it (the stock) trued up.
Thanks for the reply, wanna give me a little more info on "Truing up the stock?"

Tom
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

I used epoxy and a couple steel rods in the forearm to make it all straight without relying on the barrel. I have pictures of the process around here someplace, when I find them I'll get you a link to them.
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

WrzWaldo wrote:I used epoxy and a couple steel rods in the forearm to make it all straight without relying on the barrel. I have pictures of the process around here someplace, when I find them I'll get you a link to them.
Find those pics yet? Or are you like me and need reminders? I blame it on old age.

Tom
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Wellllllllll

I've put them onto a CD and my server room looks like a bomb went off in it due to an UPS and server upgrade. I'm sure I know where it's at and once I find it I'll know for sure. :oops:
Ohlsen

Post by Ohlsen »

WrzWaldo wrote:Wellllllllll

I've put them onto a CD and my server room looks like a bomb went off in it due to an UPS and server upgrade. I'm sure I know where it's at and once I find it I'll know for sure. :oops:
Save your time. Got my SPS today and that stock stinks! Pretty stiff, but I can't see wasting the time on it. Have a grey-black VLS stock just looking for a barreled-action.

Tom