Barrel burnout

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
hozz57

Barrel burnout

Post by hozz57 »

I've been a member on the .20forum for about a year and I gotta say that it has been a great year! I have learned a ton and still I know that I'm only scratching the surface when it comes to shooting sports. :duh: Thanks to all here who are willing to share their knowlage and experience. :D

At present I have about 1800 rounds through my rifle and when I do my part it still shoots 1/2MOA or better. :roll: My question is: How many here have burnt out their barrels and after how many rounds? :?: ? I don't recall anybody talking about replacing their .204 barrels. I've heard talk of barrels getting as high as 4000 rounds.

Has anyone here achieved that?
And if you have did you look at the tube with a borescope?
I have seen the results of barrel burnout on a 22-250 after just 1500 rounds.The first 5in of the barrel(throat end)were all smoothed out, zero rifling. :eek: But the gun plastered a P-dog at 375 yds last time we were out...???...
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
jo191145

Re: Barrel burnout

Post by jo191145 »

Hozz

I have 4000+ rds out of my original Savage stainless. Theres definately some throat wear but not as much as one might expect. I believe but am not sure a 40 Nosler could be loaded to touch the lands if one was inclined to do so. There are striations on the lands in the first 4-6 inches of the bore.

For whatever reason there is a divot in the barrel 6-8'' from the chamber. Possibly a defect caused by having to much oil in the bore upon firing :chin:
I also used this tube to try recrowning methods. Recrowned it three times in fact.
Screwed it on two winters ago and it still shoots accurate. Burped out a zero using WS2 coated 35gn Bergs and Benchmark. Velocity must be kept low or copper will take over and mess it up.
This tube would never accept copper fouling. First 600rds of factory ammo was shoot and scrub every six rds. That gets boring fast.

I have a 12fv barrel that will not last as long. At least 1500 rds through it. From the factory the lands were finer than my stainless tubes. Never could shoot well for extended times but the first 6-8 rds were scary accurate. Replaced it with another stainless.

The older they get the more hoops you need to jump through to get them to shoot well.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

4000 round down the tube, man I what and shooting partner like you. I’ve had mine for 9 months now and have 1500 through it. What a fun round to shoot.
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I have a SS Shilen tube that has 2700 rds. thru it. Without a borescope it is tough to tell but nearly as I can see it...it looks like the day I bought it. It definitely shoots the same. I have had it warmed up pretty good on hot days with lots of pds out. Haven't shot a group with it in over a year but it pops 400 yd. prairie dogs with ease
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator