What are you using-what do you think?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

What are you using-what do you think?

Post by Hotshot »

I've gotten so much good advice from this forum I thought I'd throw this out for discussion.
I shoot at a lot of varmints (especially prairie dogs). For that shooting I use a portable bench and Harris bipods and I'm satisfied with my system.
Because I shoot thousands of rounds a year in the field with my bipods I have always done my bench shooting-practice, load testing, scope zero, and the occasional turkey shoot with those same bipods. The rationale being to practice and zero the same way I use the rifles in the field. I'm not lookin' to argue this, I've done well with this system over many years.
Now to the point. I want to get a good front rest for very very occasional bench shooting. It might enhance my load testing, but I really want it for competition like our Postal Shoot.
I'm lookin' at the Caldwell Rock and I would appreciate any opinions and experiences you can share. I always have to watch my budget and I won't use this piece very often, but I hate it when I get something and then have to step up later because the first purchase what not what I expected.
I appreciate your help.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: What are you using-what do you think?

Post by glenn asher »

Well, like you, I usually use a bipod or two. Used carefully, they work well enough I haven't spent the money on a rest, either. I'll be interested to hear the other responses, as I've been thinking about buying one, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Exactly which Caldwell Rock are you referring too. It seems all Caldwell front rests have the Rock name in them. (from $16.99-$179.99)
I have the Caldwell Rock BR Competition model. Would I like an upgrade? Sure, but theres other things I'd rather spend my money on. Would a Farley make me more accurate? Maybe, but not enough for me to be able to tell.
The Rock BR comp is not the best front rest out there but it will do its job. I would classify its adjustability as crude but paper targets usually do not move around much. Bipod users tend to be bag squeezers as opposed to knob turners anyway.

Besides the rest I would suggest an EJS forend stabalizer and a 3" front bag for the Rock.
I do not particulary care for the nylon bag that comes with it. YMMV

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: From my posts, you probably know I use a Harris bipod in the field also, primarily on my walkabout type of varmint shooting. For all my "Bench Rest Varminting", I use a Sinclair All Purpose Rest. Spendy, yes, but well worth the money.

That said, I'd say the Caldwell Rock is all the rest you'd need, considering your comments. Their Rock BR Rest is their top of the line, (and for just a bit more, you could be into a Sinclair) and their cheapie most likely would have you wanting to have spent a bit more. jo191145 has a good point too, the EJS forend stabilizer for any sporter-width forend you may shoot from the rest.

I've used most of the commercial rests out there, from the el cheapo Hoppe's, all the way to the Farley. Not owned mind you, but shot from all of them. I think you're on the right track for the occasional use you'll give it, your budget, and your experience in the field with PD's. That's just my opinion FWIW. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I have a Caldwell Rock BR Competition model as well. Here's my take on it. It is heavy and you will probably need to get a cart so you can carry it, your rear rest, cleaning supplies, etc. It really will add some weight to your range trips. The adjustments are crude, at best. Turning the elevation wheel will also result in side to side movement. This takes a little getting use to, but eventually you will know exactly what to expect and make adjustments. The windage knob is useless. It pivots the cradle around the center of the rest which imparts a torque on the forend of the rifle. After I adjust the front bags for proper grip on the forend, I don't want the rest messing it up. You are better off just using the rear bag to make windage adjustments. You will have to leave the elevation wheel locking knob a little lose so the cradle can rotate a little.

The rest does have some good points. I love the 3 inch front bag and flat surface since my rifle has a flat forend. If your rifle doesn't have a flat forend you will need to buy the conventional front bag set up. The little bag that comes with the rest is pretty much useless also. You can adjust the forearm tension screws so that the bags put just the right amount of grip on the forend of your rifle. This keeps the rifle recoiling straight to the rear. The rest is solid as long as you keep the cradle adjusted low, close to the base. If you get it cranked up too high it can get a little shaky. When set up right the rest will hold your crosshairs perfectly centered on the bullseye. This allows you to concentrate on squeezing the trigger, not squeezing the rear bag. It just takes a while to get it all lined up.

All in all the rest does its job. It isn't going to be as fast as the shooter sitting next to you with a joy stick, but for range work its good enough. Considering the cost of some of the "better" rests, I would buy one again and possibly change out the top with a Shade Tree Rest top with joy stick.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I also have a Rock BR. Ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto.For now ,I'm happy with it.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Have a Caldwell, ditto etc., but had a chance to use a Sinclair. Myself, I would put the extra money in the Sinclair.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

What would I need in a Sinclair and how much would it cost?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hotshot,
Check out Sinclair's web site at http://www.sinclairintl.com
They have a new light weight rest for $147, or 7 models of their heavy rest going from $195 up to $328.
With that said, I don't own one but my kid does and it works quite well. I have the Cadwell Rock BR and all of the previous comments apply.
Gary
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

I also have the Rock BR rest. It works just fine for me. Also take a look at Hawkeye's scores from the Postal Shoot. Looks to me like they work GREAT! :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Thanks to your post, Hotshot, I've talked myself into going ahead and getting a new Sinclair before next season. Would you like to buy a Caldwell?
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I've got a Caldwell BR Competition I'm going to sell as well....PM me.
George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower