(Off Subject) Cool Young Buck

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jo191145

(Off Subject) Cool Young Buck

Post by jo191145 »

Thought I'd relay my experience on my home range today. Due to oppressive heat and oppressive work loads I haven't been doing much shooting lately. Decided to bite the bullet and get out there today.

My range is basically just a swath cut through the Connecticut jungle. Today I set up my equipment on the bench and headed for the two hundred yard backstop with my Black Lab. About thirty yards to the right of my backstop is the beginning of a small old field thats growing in slower than most do. I usually keep my eyes peeled in that direction in the hopes of getting a glimpse of some animal before they hightail it out of there. 99.9% of the time its empty.

Today I was rewarded with a buck. Through a total clear spot in the foliage I saw a head and set of horns above the grass (weeds). He was bedded down and looking directly at me from about 35 yards away. No Boone and Crockett but a nice young rack none the less. (3-4 points per side)
I stopped dead in my tracks and we looked at each other through that opening for 45 seconds or so. I was amazed he didn't take off. My lab was oblivious to his presence. My girlfriend has made a lap dog out of that animal.
I continued the last twenty feet to my backstop and figured he'd bolt as soon as some foliage was between us. Stapled the target to the plywood knowing he'd be definitely slinking off at that noise.
Headed back for the bench and he was still there looking right at me. I stopped again and we looked at each other for maybe 20 seconds. Neither of us so much as twitched. Seeing no reason for making an annoyance of myself I left him there and continued back to the bench.

My lab took his usual spot about ten feet behind the bench and commenced to watch the genius at work :roll: :roll: :roll: I fired two foulers and three sets of five shot groups in an unhurried fashion. Seeing as I shoot at home I can take my failures in small doses.
When I was done I looked for the dog and he was gone. That means he heard the woman come home and its dinnertime, ingrate!
Headed out to collect the target. Much to my surprise that deer was still there looking at me. Once again I stopped and we looked at each other. I broke the silence and said quite loudly "Man your one cool buck. Your ok in my book"
Lame conversation I admit but don't forget my dog had abandoned me and I had no idea what might be a interesting topic of discussion with my new audience. Of course I was also in shock that a deer would stay put through 17 shots :shock: For those of you who have been in the pits or in a real fire fight and know what rifle fire sounds like from the receiving end I guess it could be 34 shots from his perspective.

He still did not move an inch so I went the last twenty feet and got the target. Headed back and he was still there. I did not bother to stop and stare. I figured he had earned that bed and wanted to leave him alone. Just as soon as I turned my head back to the path I was following I saw movement from his direction. Turned just in time to see him jumping over a bush going directly away from me. Big white tail up in the air. After a few more feet down the trail I realized I was holding a 8 X 11 piece of white typing paper by the corner between my finger and thumb and swinging it back and forth. No way of knowing for sure but I'll bet that was the straw that finally broke his back :oops: The whitetails universal danger signal.

I'll be keeping a close eye out for my new friend. If my ungrateful dog continues his disrespectful ways perhaps I can coax this buck ten feet behind the bench 8)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Re: (Off Subject) Cool Young Buck

Post by Mike »

Cool story!
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Re: (Off Subject) Cool Young Buck

Post by KVW »

Great story. It's amazing what wild animals will do sometimes. I've seen alot of crazy things sitting in my deer stand while bowhunting.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope