CZ 527 Varmint. Pros and Cons.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
HogPopper

CZ 527 Varmint. Pros and Cons.

Post by HogPopper »

OK all you CZ owners. Lets hear the skinny on the 527 Varmint. Likes and dislikes. Quality, service, function. You know, the real poop. I only have room for one .204, should this be it?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The magazine is a bone of contention for some folks, they simply don't like it hanging down "in the way". A feller over on Saubier.com can cut them down to 3 round capacity, and whittle on the triggerguard to make them happy ($60or so). Mounting a scope can be a hassle, it's usually best to ask around to pick a scope that creates the fewest headaches , as the root of the bolt handle can bump a large ocular lens, with the wrong rings. There's a fix for that, too, Calhoon reshapes them and reblues them to make those folks happy ($80 or so). OR you can just use CZs own rings and avoid most of the silliness. 8)

Those who've lived thru that, seem to like them very much. I have two American models, and am very satisfied with them. The triggers are outstanding, they don't foul badly at all, and they shoot pretty good. A friend of mine bought a Varminter when I got mine, and he's tickled spitless with it. I know others who feel the same way. :D
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

527 American

Post by Vartarg »

I had one of the above for a while, but sold it. I found the magazine to be a nuisance...and kind of "tinny", but my biggest beef was the action: bolt was very rough, and I didn't feel like it was that well made. Maybe I wasn't patient enough, and it would have improved....but patience isn't my long suit......

I do have 2 452 Varmints (17HMR & 22WMR) and am happy with them. Just $.02.....
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I only have one CZ. It's an American in 221 FireBall. I wouldn't trade it for anything. My next 204 will be the CZ Varmint.

Other than that,, what GA said above is very good info. The only other thing is some of the Varmint barrels rub on one side of the stock. A little sanding & you're good to go.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
faucettb

Post by faucettb »

I have the Varmint model in 204, wood and blue steel. I really like it. It's so accurate it's scary sometimes. My old hunting buddy liked it so well he bought one just like it last month at Sportsmans Warehouse.

I mounted a 4.5 to 14 Burris balistic plex scope on his and had some trouble getting the scope zeroed. I'm out of windage with a set of Burris Rings.

I had them both out of the safe cleaning them last week and, Wow, his has a shorter barrel than mine. His was a 24 inch tube and mine was 25.5 inches. When I checked CZ's site I found that was the barrel they are supplying now on the Varmint models.

After 45 years of popping coyotes and ground squirrels with many different guns I would sure recommend the CZ 527 Varmint. I've been a Remington fan for lots of years and this little CZ is one of the best varmint rifles I've ever used.
Bob from Idaho
aocasek

Post by aocasek »

I've got the 527 Varmint Kevlar and its a sweet rifle. Its shoots real well, most days its a .3 or .4 rifle with my loads. When I first started working up loads I found that it shot all the bullet weights I tried well, the 32 V-max, 35 bergers, and the 39 BK's. I settled on the 39 BK cause that was the most accurate and it put the smack down on g-hogs in a big way.

If I could change 1 thing, it would be the magazine. There's no problems with functionality or reliability, just an aesthetic thing. I didn't have any problems mounting a scope, got a leo 6-18 VX-II and it mounted without a problem. Given the choice, I'd buy it again, I'm happy with it. Also, got one in .17 Remington too, it doesn't shoot quite as good as the kevlar version, but it kills'em dead. I don't think you can go wrong with the CZ.

P.S. In my opinion, hopefully nobody takes offense, CZ's single set trigger is the greatest out of the box trigger in the business.

Good luck with your choice.

Adam
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

I too have a CZ 527, but it happens to be the American model. I was quite reluctant at first when looking at the CZ having been a Remington man for all my life. I almost purchased an SPS but really wanted a detachable magazine.

I do not regret my decision. The rifle is light (even the Varmint model is light compared to other manufacturers), is very accurate (shoots sub 0.5 MOA consistently with the best group being 0.25) and looks good.

Here are some other impressions:

1. Det. Magazine: For me the mag. does not get in the way. I do not understand why it would. It is very functional and durable. I like that it is made out of metal. There is some getting used to putting it in and out but this is nothing that can't be overcome.

2. RINGS: If you go with the CZ rings there should be no problem in mounting any reasonable scope. Your dealer should be able to call CZ themselves just to make sure if you want piece of mind.

3. LOOKS: In my opinion it looks awesome.

4. Trigger: This rifle was purchased to be a coyote gun. It will do very nicely with that since it shoots so well, but I have to say that I am really impressed with the trigger. Having the set trigger feature can really tell you what the gun can do at the range. I find myself going to the range more than I ever have in order to shoot the .204

You will not be disappointed with the CZ. It is really good quality with a great fit and finish for a decent price. It seems to me that this is getting harder and harder to find now a days.

walleyeman
HogPopper

Post by HogPopper »

Super input everyone. I appreciate it. I have to tell you the first thing that caught my eye with the CZ was the outward appearance of the rifle. It just looks "right" to me. The other feature I was taken with, was the detachable mag. I bought a Tikka this spring, for an upcoming coyote hunt. I was leery of the clip. Especially being moulded. But I love a clip fed rifle, so I tried it. If the CZ clip functions as flawlesly as the Tikka, I'll be more than happy. I had a Remington 788 when I was a teenager, and have been a fan of clips ever since.
What is the deal with the scope rings? Why do the CZ rings work when others fail. Are CZ rings a high quality ring? I don't have a problem with using their rings if they are a good quality. I have the Tikka rings on that rifle, and am happy with them. Just currious what is going on there,R.J.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

I have the cz 527 varmint and love it. The trigger is amazing! I have a vx 1 scope with leupold rings and had no problem with the bolt. Purchased mine for hunting but it also does well at the range. Not sure why people do not like the clip but that is one reason I bought the cz. Love it! First thing I did was float the barrell and bed the stock. It will shoot consistant .450 groups with the 35gr bergers and .500 groups or less with factory 32gr v-max. Good Luck.
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

Hogpopper,

I love my CZ 527 Varmint in 204. As others have said it's very accurate with a good handload. Using 39 gr SBK in it. It's heavier than I thought it would be (10.2 I think) but still a great carry gun.

The magazine is waaay to retentive for the cartridges which makes operating the bolt rough! I bought a spare mag, too, before the gun arrived, and it is very rough also. Both mags are sitting in the safe. Solved that problem by getting a mag follower from Calhouns, very nicely made and I prefer it being a single shot. My bolt is very smooth with the single shot follower. The bolt is also easy to disassemble without any tools, makes cleaning easy.

I use the CZ scope mounts and a Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 40 with no interference.

I think the CZ factory guns are the best out there for the bucks. Trigger is sweet! :D
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Post by Steve V »

The accuracy of my CZ Varmint is scary, to say the least(it shoots better than the shooter, ususally). I don't particularly like the mag, but that problem is easily solved with a Calhoon follwer. The one thing that I wish I could change is: I would put a heavier barrel on it. The 204 is a great prairie dog cartridge, but the barrel heats up way to fast and stays hot longer than "standard weight" varmint gun barrels. If you'er looking to use it as a "sustained fire" gun in the pd towns or squirrel fields, I'd go with something with a heavier barrel like Savage or Remington.
HogPopper

Post by HogPopper »

No sustained fire here. Just PA Sod Dodgers. Maybe 3 shots in any kind of succession. Not misses mind you. Just multiple targets. ;). I never miss. I lie from time to time though. :whistle: :lmao:. I'm getting pretty excited about the whole .204 thing. It is going to be a long summer.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Just buy it! :wave: :party1: Don't forget the rings, though, the Varmint comes without rings!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

the whole scope/mount thing shouldn't be an issue if you have less than a 42mm objective. I have burris rings and a 42mm sightron and there was no issues.

kyle
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Post by Steve V »

HogPopper...If you ,No, WHEN you ,get the CZ, I have a set of CZ 1" rings I'd let you have at a very good price. I first had a one inch scope on mine, but then went with a 30mm tube. pm me if interested.