New CZ American like lightning!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

New CZ American like lightning!

Post by walleyeman »

Just wanted to pass on the good fortune that I have had with my CZ .204.
I began shooting it with the factory horn. 32gr V-max. Wow, can this gun ever shoot this stuff. The first grouping after zeroing in the scope was measured at 0.525", then a week later I shot my second group with the gun and it measured 0.250"(all shots taken at 100yd targets). I am very pleased with it since again this is factory.

Now, I purchased the gun to use for coyote hunting with the intent of keeping the hides. I know that some have had good success with the 32 Vmax and others not so I decided to try some other rounds as well.

The 34 gr Win did not perform on paper as well as the 32gr finishing with a group slightly over 0.600" and the 45 gr Horn. SP I only shot three of them, one being at 30yds. So more testing on that one.

My delema is should I just stick with the 32gr for now since it is by far the best performer or should I sacrifice some accuracy and go for the 34gr Win. ?

What would you do and why?
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Well walleyeman, I too have a cz and love it. It also shoots them 32s very well. I have shot coyotes with the 32gr and 40gr v-max. Most were shot with the 40gr though. The last two coyotes of the year were taken with the 34gr win. The reason I switched to the 34gr win is because the 32 and 40gr would leave such big holes in the hides. I shot one coyote in the neck and one in the chest with the 34gr win both shots made just one small enterance hole and no exit. The same shots with the 32gr and 40gr v-max would leave huge enterance holes. For me I decided to sacrifice a little accuracy for less hide damage.
I have recently started hand loading and the cz really likes them 35gr bergers. I hope this helps you. Take care.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Sounds like you got a real shooter there. I'm not a hunter but .600 should be plenty accurate for whacking coyotes for now. I'll defer to Lyn on the 34's hide saving abilitys.
If your not reloading already you will be. The 204 has that effect on people. When you do you should'nt have to much trouble getting back to the accuracy of the 32 factory loads. The 35 Berger is highly regarded by most shooters but not by many Coyotes ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

LYN: When you say the 32 or 40 gr would leave such big holes in the hide how big would they be exactly? I have never shot a coyote with the .204 so am looking for a reference point.

In comparison to the Win 34gr how big of an entrance do they typically produce? Also with the Win 34gr do you have more room for error because of a more solid bullet construction, I mean do I always have to shoot for the ribs or are other places now an option?
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

walleyeman wrote:LYN: When you say the 32 or 40 gr would leave such big holes in the hide how big would they be exactly? I have never shot a coyote with the .204 so am looking for a reference point.

In comparison to the Win 34gr how big of an entrance do they typically produce? Also with the Win 34gr do you have more room for error because of a more solid bullet construction, I mean do I always have to shoot for the ribs or are other places now an option?
I have heard tales of manly sized fist holes on entrance.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

On a few of the coyotes I shot the hides were no good do to the size of the hole. If I hit them in the meaty parts like the shoulder or neck the holes would be about 3 to 5 inches around.
The 34gr bullet would leave a 20 cal. entrance hole on the two that I shot. As far as having more room for error I never had a problem with any of the bullets killing power. I had one coyote run on me after being shot in the ribs with a 40gr v-max that went clean through. He only ran for about 20 yards.
I hope my rambling helps. And like jo191145 said about reloading if your not you soon will be.
walleyeman

Post by walleyeman »

Thanks for the replys guys. I think that I will go with my original plan and use the 34gr Win for the upcoming season and hopefully use the $ from the hides to pay for some reloading equipment.