its in the country

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

its in the country

Post by trevort »

My Lilja barrel got here today. I should have some photos to post within a month :D :D :D

Only been waiting about 6 months
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Congrats man, but dam, six months to get it? No good barrel makers on that island of yours?

And what, it's gonna take you a month of drueling on it before you get time to post a pic?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

It took me nearly a year to get mine all together. It took nine of those months just to get the action.

Trevort

I'm really looking forward to seeing your rifle. Hang in there. If you think you're drooling now, just wait 'till you see her all together. Dan Lilja is the KING of small caliber barrels.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
trevort

Post by trevort »

the smith says the local barrel makers can make a top product but he thinks their consistency has slipped!

My bushing dies arrive from Sinclair this week. He wants some dummies to cut the neck thickness and throat to suit my rounds. He has the barrel, I havent seen it yet!

He has my stock to do the bedding but the stock is unfinished. i will post a picture when I get it back from the smith and then its off to the stockmaker for chequering and polishing! Then the finished article photos will be posted.

Now I must admit, I got greedy and a little over excited. I also ordered a no 9 profile Kreiger to make a heavy rifle. 1 in 10 twist for 40s. It might go on a stiller predator action. It wont be here to Christmas!

Its all fun.
skipper

Post by skipper »

A friend of mine, who is the gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain, ordered a Stiller Viper action at the same time I ordered my Stolle Panda. He received his complete action in TWO WEEKS. I was amazed. He had his rifle together and was shooting it months before me. Hopefully, you will get yours delivered fast also. Probably not two weeks to Australia, but faster than waiting on a Panda. Did you get the drop port option?

Krieger would have been my choice if I hadn't heard so many positive things about Dan Lilja's small bore barrels. I think your choice of combinations are well thought out. Let me just say one thing, Shehane ST1000 Tracker stock. O.K. now I'll be quiet. Did I mention Jewell triggers?
trevort

Post by trevort »

Skipper the predator action is a repeater. I am building a spotlighting rifle. I am also doubling it up as an accurate bench rifle. I am thinking of a synthetic thumbhole with a wide flat fore end. If i cant get one I might go laminate or forget about the thumbhole idea and just get an HS or Mcmillan varmint stock. Plenty of time to think on it! I think I may get the Jewell trigger yet I am very happy with the Rifle basix ERV on my 6/250.

I have just done something similar to you. I read a post a while ago where you were going to enter a comp for the first time. Well me and my 6/250 are off to our first comp soon. I have no delusions of being competitive but have been talked into it by members of a local board to meet people. Its about 8 hrs drive away and we will all be staying in a local caravan park. Should be fun.

The Lilja is a no 5. It will be fluted even tho kept at 26 inches it will be my "light varmint" carry 204. it is going on a trued rem action with the firing pin assembly replaced and another rifle basix trigger!
skipper

Post by skipper »

That wide flat fore end will be great from the bench and a nightmare to carry. It's the same with the thumbhole. I love my XR-100 with the thumbhole stock but I wouldn't want to carry it all day.

If you put that much effort into your hunting rifles, I'd love to see what you come up with for a dedicated bench gun. How about a Krieger barrel, BAT action, Mc Millan Edge stock, Jewell trigger and a March scope. I'm planning my second bench gun. Maybe next year. I haven't decided on a cartridge yet.
trevort

Post by trevort »

skipper the effort is because the passion is for the guns. What you do with them is nice but I just love guns!!!
skipper

Post by skipper »

I can't argue with that. I love 'em too.