ammo help

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
steel

ammo help

Post by steel »

Hi, I am new to the site and just bought a TC contender 204 carbine this week. I have been checking out ammo and scopes to add to the gun the last day or two. I notice the Rem and Hornady 40gr ammo is listed at 3900fps while the federal and HSM is listed at around 3750FPS in the same weight bullet. I am still going with the federal 39gr load as I have had great accuracy with federals loads in the past but was wondering if the Rem and Hornady 40gr loads really shot that fast out of a 24" barrel or it is just hype.Thanks for any help!
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Just wan'ted to say welcome to the forum Steel. I can't really help you out any as i only shoot reloads in my gun. But i'm sure some will be along that can help you out on the fps of them rounds.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Dont know what you are going to use your tc for but I would buy a box of every kind of ammo I could find and see what shoots the best.Also I would forget the fps numbers and go with what shoots the best, most targets, alive or paper really dont care how fast the bullet goes thru them
just my 2 cents.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

Don't know about the 40's but people say the 32's usually record about 100 fps slower than listed. I don't know as I don't have a chrony. Take cracker's advice and use the bullet that shoots the most accurate out of your rifle. Because if it doesn't hit the target, who cares how fast it's going.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
steel

fps

Post by steel »

Well I was leaning towards the federal load becasue most everything I have read said it was a good load to try first normally haveing good accuracy in most rifles. I do have a cronoy and rifle range at my house so soon as my scope and ammo comes in I will test it out. I ordered Winchester,Remington, and Federal loads to test out. I was sticking with the 40gr bullets incase a coyote runs by the house some morning.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

If you can find some 39gr BK loads don't hesitste to try them. They flat out knock the snot out of a groundhog out to at least 350yds. Pdogs have been rearranged by them at well over that distance. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen