The Varmint Hunter Magazine

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

The Varmint Hunter Magazine

Post by Vartarg »

O Happy Days......just rec'd my July issue of the VH magazine. Looking at the table of contents, I see there are two particular articles of interest: ".204 Ruger and Hornady 45-Grain Spire Point" by L. P. Brezny, and "The .204 Ruger: Is It the Ideal Coyote Calling Cartridge?" by Mike Brust. Just FYI.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

sounds good, look forward to getting my copy in the post.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

What does the article say about the Horn. 45gr SP? I was thinking of trying some out in my CZ to see if they will shoot well enough for some fur gettin/keepin bullets.

Thanks

walleyeman
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Errrrr, LP Brezny never met a bullet he didn't like, especially if a company sent him some, free.......... Heck he even likes the WSSMs, although if you read between his lines, he really doesn't say anything NICE about them, or glosses over something horrible (like having to clean every TEN{WSSMs} shots or something :? ) Your best bet would be to try a box of factory ammo, then you'd have the brass if the stuff doesn't shoot up to snuff, without having 80 or so bullets collecting dust if it doesn't work out.

Also, his previous treatings of the .204 proved to me that we have a LOT more knowledge here, than he does. Why he chose some of the powders he chose (when there are a LOT more suitable powders) had me baffled when I read his earlier .204 stuff. Take anything he writes with a salt shaker in hand.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Ditto

Post by Vartarg »

Like all "gun rag" writers, Brezny isn't likely to bite the hand that feeds him, and he doesn't. Still, the article is extensive, includes some "huntin'" stories and also some material on reloading for the 45gr Hornady bullet. Apparently the article was written before Hornady published their latest reloading manual, which includes data for the 45gr bullet.....it was published this year, and as I recall there was a time when the cartridges were available before the bullets were on the shelf.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

LOL!!

Last year LP Brezny convinced me for the first time in a lot of years that the money I spent on the VHA wasn't worth it.

I wonder if they re-issued my low member number to an LP devotee?....:lol:

JMO - bcb
mr.mossyoak

Post by mr.mossyoak »

i have looked all over for that VH magazine Please do tell where i can get a copy or a subscription card thanks a million
if you kill it grill it if you can't grill it eat it raw!!!!!!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

There is an interesting thread over on GGVG about Brenzy and the magazine, and his knowledge of the 204 in general.

As for contacting the magazine for a subscription:

http://www.varminthunter.org should get you there, or Google The Varmint Hunters Associan....that'll work for sure. I've got all the isses since they started, have noticed a decline in good content, but it's still fun and interesting to read, especially when the snow is flying, and we're cooped up in the winter months.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Yotecallr
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by Yotecallr »

Has anyone ever seen a picture of Brezny wearing a smile ? He always looks like he is in agony. Maybe his feet hurt from all that walking he might do.
Only accurate rifles are interesting....