How to sight in using a Variable Scope?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

How to sight in using a Variable Scope?

Post by walleyeman »

Well, I just recieved the call from my gun dealer. My new CZ 527 American has arrived. I put a Bushnell 3200 Elite in 3-9 power on it and since this is my first variable scope what setting do I use to sight it in? Does it matter? I mean if I sight it in using 4x and then switch it over to 8x will it shoot to the same point at 100 yds?

I've been hunting for 22 years and all of my guns have scopes that are fixed 4x so this is new terratory for me.

My ammo of choice will be the 32 gr Hornady but I also picked up a box of Hornady 45 gr SP just to see how they shoot.

walleyeman
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Point of aim is supposed to be the same on any power.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

If this is true then it would be better to sight it in using the highest power possible so as to ensure that the point of aim stays consistant with every shot, no?
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

Yes, always sight in at the highest power. That way, even if POI isn't the same at different powers then it'll be zeroed at the power you use most anyway. :D
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
cracker

Post by cracker »

site in at the highest power, after all the adjustments are done and you are happy with the p.o.i. then turn it down and see what happens to the p.o.i. hope it stays the same.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
cracker

Post by cracker »

site in at the highest power, after all the adjustments are done and you are happy with the p.o.i. then turn it down and see what happens to the p.o.i. hope it stays the same.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

walleyeman

POI should remain constant from min to max magnification. Where you may run into trouble is with parallax. On scopes without an adjustable objective you generally increase parallax as you increase magnification and depending on what power the scope was factory set for zero parallax you could have some parallax above and below a specific mag setting. If you are not paying attention this can cause your POI to change (because your POA has changed). Parallax can be corrected on scopes with an adjustable objective (AO) lens. And just dialing the objective to the desired range may not be enough.

Here is a good writeup for adjusting the objective. --> http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.html