Need some Scope Advice....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Need some Scope Advice....

Post by acloco »

Have the opportunity to purchase a new Pentax Lightseeker 30 8.5-32x50 scope for a very reasonable price ($400). Does anybody have any experience with this brand or specific model?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2380-121-pentax- ... scope.aspx

Thoughts?????
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

acloco
Wish I could help you with the Pentax but I have no experience with their scopes. I do have a couple of older Pentax SLR cameras and they take excellent pics.
Have you taken a look at the Nikko Sterling Nighteater Platinum scopes?
I recently bought a 4-16x44 SF for $180. Really nice and clear but have not had a chance to use it in the field yet.
Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
acloco

Post by acloco »

I have two of the 6-24x56 Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater scopes...one on the 204 and one on my 223.

I want to stretch a 243 to the 7/800 yard range....not sure if I need more scope or not....to shoot prairie dogs of course. :)
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm all but positive that they are made by Burris, so anything said about Burris would also include the Pentax. I rarely if ever hear anything bad about the better Burris lines, so I'd be inclined to think they are pretty good :D .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco

I've been eyeing those lightseekers for three years or so. Never took the leap of faith to order one yet. Its my understanding they are assembled by Burris but with better glass.
My first scope (Burris SS 6.5x24) left me feeling the need for more magnification. I read a great review of the lightseekers so they went to the top of my list. Then I saw a 8-32 Black Diamond (refurbished) in Midway for a greatly reduced price. Snatched it up quick and mounted it.
Went outside and found the vertical turret was jammed solid. Called Midway and ordered another nonrefurbished at normal price. This side parralax on this scope seemed broken. It would not focus past 170yds. I sent them both back and ordered a Loopy 8-25.

About a year ago I saw a 8-32 lightseeker in a gunshop/range. The clerk allowed me to take it outside for a looksee. The side parrlax was extremely loose and unadjustable.

Still wanting more power I eventually ordered a NF 12X42. I figured spending big bucks would give me the power I need and remove one more variable. Never need to wonder if my scope is deficent.
Not entirely sure about that theory at this time. I've been seeing some strange walking horizontal groups that go seem to go away when I throw my 8-25 Doctor Optics on the gun. More testing required.
I have a Weaver 36X scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Needed another scope anyway.

Sorry no help here. Optics are like brass. Its a crapshoot.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Iamsignal3

Ghost in the house

Post by Iamsignal3 »

I have a buddy that paid allot for his and he said it had white-ish blurs in it and he had called them and all though he said they were very nice and ask him to send it back. When he got it back it was the same. I looked through it and could also see it and for that reason I have steared away from them. It seemed to be worse during mid-day. This was 10 years ago and was their lightseeker 6x20 - 50mm. On Pentax's half my buddy said that customer service was fast and top notch.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Thanks everybody. I decided to stick with the Nikko Stirling's. I have two and am used to them...so...one more for the family.

I REALLLLLLLY like the extended mildots on the Nikko's. Fine line with midots provides fine target acquisition. I think this helps at extended ranges.

Missed a shot at 440 yards late this evening..ugh.

Thanks again.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

FWIW- Mueller makes very nice scopes.
http://muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html
Not as nice as the Burris, but excellent for the money.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Very good price on a fully multicoated lense.

The Nikko has finer crosshairs and more mildots.

Compare the specs....and the price...about the same.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40176-48004-2728.html
blkdog

which scope?

Post by blkdog »

Lately I've been using the Nikon buckmasters 6x18 SF with the fine crosshairs or the mildot. I have been very happy with the performance of the Nikon products and the price is reasonable.Once you use the side focus, you will want it on all your scopes. I also have a leupold 6x20 with the varmintor cross hair and side focus, its agreat scope but pricey. One more comment, the Nikon buckmaster with the bullet drop comp has too thick of cross hair for varmints IMO
sick1

Re: Need some Scope Advice....

Post by sick1 »

Hello everyone, joined a few weeks ago, and this is my first post. I just picked one up of these Pentax scopes for a "beater" build (700 Rem .223). BIG scope, seems to be over built. Nice positive clicks on the target turrets. Daytime image is clear, I will take it out tonight and compare it side by side with a VXIII and NXS with similar magnification and post results. I'm no expert, so don't expect anything professional.

acloco wrote:Have the opportunity to purchase a new Pentax Lightseeker 30 8.5-32x50 scope for a very reasonable price ($400). Does anybody have any experience with this brand or specific model?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2380-121-pentax- ... scope.aspx

Thoughts?????
NRA Life Member
acloco

Post by acloco »

sick1 - PLEASE post your report. Will be interesting.
sick1

Post by sick1 »

First off, sorry about the spelling, I'm a retard with out spell check.

Here is a brief, non professional, review of 3 high power scopes:

Top- Leupold Vari X III 8.5x25x50 on a semi custom DPMS AR15 in .204

Middle- Pentax Lightseeker 30 8.5x32x50 on a semi custom Remington 700 in .223

Bottom- Nightforce NXS 8x32x56 on a Cooper Phoenix in .204

Like I said in the reply above, the Pentax is a huge scope. It dwarfs the Leupold, and the scope with out the sun shade is longer than the Nightforce with the sun shade.

Pictures were taken between 8:00 and 8:12 pm on 6-19-07 in Central Ohio. The view through the scopes (did not show up that great due to my un-professional photography skills, and cheap camera) were at the back fence line in the pick below. The rifles were on my dining room table, the back fence line is 180 yards from my back door. The scopes were set at 25x, with exception of the NXS, which was set at 24x. Please do not judge the pictures of the scope veiws, as they do not acurately represent what I'm seeing through the views of the scopes myself.

Nightforce

Leupold

Pentax

At this point, the Leupold wins in brightness and clarity and resolution,(surprised the heck out of me) the Pentax is brighter than the Nighforce, but the NF is slightly better in the clarity and resolution. I paid $399 for the Pentax shipped to my door from cameralandny. Has to be one of the best deals I've come across in a long time. WOW! I would definately recommend this scope for varmint applications. The 1/8" adjustments would probably not work too well for serious distance shooting. Also, I much prefer the side focus as opposed to the AO, but for the price this scope is hard to beat. If the Pentax was priced at MSRP, I would add a few bucks and get a Leupold.

Update: 9:26 pm, getting real dark now. The Nighforce has definately pulled in the lead for brightness and clarity, the Leupold is second, and the Pentax isn't far behind for third. Set up a cheapie 40x spotting scope, and it is black. I can barely make out the fence line at the back of the house 20 yards away.
NRA Life Member
acloco

Post by acloco »

Wow..interesting.

One other item - notice the difference in the amount of fence that you see on the same/nearly the same power settings?

I wish you had a Nikko Stirling 6-24x56 as the 4th scope....
sick1

Post by sick1 »

acloco wrote:Wow..interesting.

One other item - notice the difference in the amount of fence that you see on the same/nearly the same power settings?

I wish you had a Nikko Stirling 6-24x56 as the 4th scope....

On the amount of fence shown in retical views, just depended on the height of the gun, bipod and scope. I should have tried to aim them at the exact spot, but I was trying to get the pictures all in around the same time. Also, I had never known or heard of a Nikko Stirling until I read this thread.
NRA Life Member