Wipeout is it all you really need?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
craigyboy

Wipeout is it all you really need?

Post by craigyboy »

do you think wipeout is all you really need to clean a barrel? I discovered wipeout a few months ago and its all I use these days, my regime with it is usually five wet patches with wipeout accelorator to take out the worst dirt, then put in the foam and leave it too sit for a few hours and patch out until clean, it usually patches out clean after about 15-20 patches. The first two patches after the foam are usually pretty dirty and the rest are only sightly dirty. I very rarely get the blue of cooper fouling, though i did get some on saturday after about 3 applications of wipeout to the bore though it was only slight and it could have been a reaction from the jag I am not sure. Do you think wipeout is really getting the barrel clean? without a bore scope it is very hard to know, it just seems too easy to get the bore clean with this stuff.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

craigyboy, I was using Wipe-Out exclusively. I do not believe that Wipe-Out attacks carbon as well as some other cleaners. The use of a cleaner like Slip 2000 or Mercury Power Clean ( my choice) is necessary to get the carbon out prior to using Wipe-Out. I believe that aggressive action is needed in a high volume rifle or accuracy destroying carbon buildup is inevitable. I could never get a patch that did not show a little carbon when using the foam only.
Silverfox has posted having good results with Patch-Out recently. I believe he said he is using a carbon cleaner prior to its use also.
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I'm sure it probably works. I HAVE NEVER heard of any of the bench rest boys using it so I guess it is bad ju-ju.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I agree with Whistlepig. I've found Wipeout works much better if you remove most of the carbon first.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

jo191145 wrote:I agree with Whistlepig. I've found Wipeout works much better if you remove most of the carbon first.
I concur. First use BC's Bore Superscrub and then leave WipeOut in the barrel overnight. The bore comes up spotless and is like a mirror!
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."