OFF TOPIC...What 17 HMR??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

It seemed to me that Savage's magazines were rather cheaply made, Marlin's are more substantial, and hold two more rounds per magazine. It's your dollars and choice, but either would suit me well. I kept my Marlin because it shot better than my Savage did, but the next two rifles might swap that around. Who knows? Or, buy the CZ for essentially the same money, and have a much prettier rifle than either of the others.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

Actually Mike, I might not have to knock you over the fence as you seem to be falling the right way, according to my brother's .17. It's a marlin as well and shoots around an inch(in no wind).Personally, if you're not shooting too far, I'd go far a .22 magnum. It bucks wind better than the .17 but doesn't have the range the .17 does. Use the .204 on farther shots. If you do spring for a 22 magnum go for a marlin. Everyone I know that hunts anything has a marlin 22 mag(including myself, shoots under MOA w/ CCI maxi-mags) and I haven't heard anyone that owns one say anything bad about it. No matter what you get, be proud of it and shoot it! A LOT!
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Glenn
They were so busy I just worked the actions.First the Marlin,Then the Savage.I'll take note the next time :yeah: .I do want to see a CZ in person.

Sniper
I just want a 17 :oops:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

That little M2 is deadly out to 80yds on the soft tissue shots.

If you get the Marlin I'll sat up front the trigger will probably suck. Bad too. I put a RifleBasix in mine for around $80 or so & set it to 2 2/2lbs. It takes about 20 minutes to swap one out. I think you'll like either one honestly. The Lam/SS Marlin is heavy if you're gonna carry it.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

great discussion here.

I am really looking forward to getting an HMR soon, and it is a toss up between the savage and marlin, or making my old marlin 25 a wmr/hmr switch barrel. Will probably be going with the savage because of my brand loyalty and the accutrigger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I certainly don't have a problem with that. Thats why I suggested the Marlin. I really like their rimfires.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

savage rookie: Yes a great discussion indeed! How do you make your marlin a switch barrel? How much does it cost to do it? Unlike most people here I prefer a 22 mag over a 17 any day of the week, but it can't hurt to have one available around the house! :)

Mike: As I said, it's your choice what you buy, be proud of it and shoot it! Glen said that the trigger on marlins suck, on my brother's .17 IT DOES, yet for my 22 mag, that's one more thing that's perfect on it! My marlin has a thin trigger with, say 2 1/2-3 lbs pull with no creep and a clean break while my brother's 17 is a real wide trigger with a little creep and takes a little more pull to go off than mine does. Mine is an older one though, say 6 years or so, while my brother's 17 is a 2005 or 2006 model, so I'd say that marlin has changed the trigger styles on their rifles in between those years.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

I did have four 17HMR's but got rid of a Ruger 17/77 laminate stainless due to poor accuracy.

Two Anschutz 1517's and a Cooper M57...all of them are topped off with a Zeiss 6.5x20x50 and are the cat's meow.

These rifles are a hoot to shoot as are all 17's.
Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

sniper204-

It'll have to be a custom job. I have an extra 25m here with a bent barrel, the action is still good, so I plan on threading the reciever and getting two green mtn or similar ($ wise) barrels in hmr/wmr (no reason I won't be able to do every rimfire possible, l/lr/s etc) and mating them to the reciever, by either direct screw into the reciever or by a stubbing the reciever and mating with a barrel nut ala savage. may make it easier to set head space.

This wil be my first BIG project and im looking forward to it ALOT, should be able to get it all done by the end of summer. Not such hard work to do, but the logistics of it are going to be a pain.

In the mean time though I'll probably purchase an off the shlef unit.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

I have a savage heavy barrel. My cousin gets3/4 out of it at 100but im ot that steady. Ive go better than 1/2 at 50 (i had been shooting wethby 300 mag earlier iwas flenching with a sore shoulder). It shoots well for the money but i agree with glen on the magazine. I have trouble getting mine to click in far enough to feed good. other than that the gun is great.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

Got the Marlin SS heavy barrel/ Rifle Basix trigger and Bushnell 4x12. Does .5MOA, haven't gone beyond 150yrds but it knocks the golf balls around at that range. :wink:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hawkeye, my .17HMR's are the Ruger 77/17 (scoped Lupey 3x9) for out to 200-250 yrds, and the Henry lever action for danger close to 150 yrds.
Have fun choosing and more fun shooting! :lol: Gary
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

doubleA - Your Anschutz are absolutely gorgeous! If you don't mind, what do they typically go for. I've got an Anshutz benchrest .22 that I absolutely love.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

Anybody shooting the H&R or the NEF 17HMR? If so, how do they shoot?
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

How can you even mention those after seein' pics of the anschutz..... :twisted: