Advice for first paint job?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
sniper2o4

Advice for first paint job?

Post by sniper2o4 »

Hey guys, I'm gonna spray paint the stock of my 204. I've never done this before and I am going to paint it in a desert/sandy color. Does anyone have any advice for a good pattern? Any advice will be better than none as I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

this is what i came up with after a few beers. i first painted with a black 'rock texture' paint. then i rolled up some tape, sticky side out ,and wrapped it around my stock, then some green paint and a little tan.

heres my hmr and .204.

Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

sniper2o4
I've done several rifles in solid colors and here's a paint that I highly recommend. It's called DuraCoat and you can get it at this website: http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ I think Midway still sells it too but you might be able to get it right from the manuf. at the above website a little cheaper. I say that 'tounge in cheek' because this is SPENDY paint $$$. !
Read the spec's but I can assure you it is good stuff, goes on easy (without heat needed) and lasts. Good luck. P.S. They have various camo kits available too (with stencils).

D.H.
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Sniper204, Both the job's Raceface and Gmoney did on there stock's are pretty nice job's. You can use leaves, sticks to make your pattern or what ever you want to use. The only thing i do different is I paint the hole gun. Stock, barrel and scope so if the sun is out nothing will shine on it at all. I just pick up some camouflage paint that cost me about $15. and i'm good to go at it. I try to match it to the surrounding country and some what to the time of year i'll be useing the gun.
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

lee is right. try and get rid of any shine and match surrounding country. being in northern california means im up in the mountains hunting and usually am able to find a massive rock to post up on. the .204 blends in pretty well. too much flash in the picture to do mine justice, but gmoney, you did a killer job.
Last edited by RacefacE on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Candy Apple Red and yellow flames would look GREAT at the range.
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

cool, thanks for all the help guys. and shooter, it would look nice but wont suit its purpose. thanks again everyone I'll post pics of the finished project in a couple weeks.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
JGBETTS

Post by JGBETTS »

Hunt Hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean, Apologize to no one
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

JG, I like the look. Even if I am a webbing kinda guy :D ......

Hey, Our clearcoats are the same-o- same-o. How ya like it?Don
JGBETTS

Post by JGBETTS »

HUNTSMAN, I have ordered webbing, its on its way, but I got impatient. Besides, the webbing is for my "coyote stalker" stock.
Hunt Hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean, Apologize to no one
doubleA

Post by doubleA »

$10 worth of Krylon paint works for me. On this one I decided to paint the entire gun.

Life is good, Give God the Glory.....doubleA
Prdtrgttr

Webbing

Post by Prdtrgttr »

Huntsman, I love that paint job you did. I painted my SPS las year, and that was the painting I wanted, however, I didn't have the know how. I wasn't sure how to do that webbing. Is it easy to do? Can you give us a simple how to? Once again, awesome paint job and thanks for sharing.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sniper204: If you want to go the entire route, camo the bipod and yourself too, to almost completely disappear.

Here's my son (Gulf War Vet) in his Ghillie & his version of the M40A2 in our open desert after Wiley E.

If you were not paying too much attention, you'd walk right by him. This 7.62 NATO rifle get used from the alpine meadows to our high desert, so the camo needs to be a compromise for all conditions.....hard to accomplish. Here it is on the shooting mat being used at 600 yards on Skippy (yeah, I know, overkill, but hey, who cares? After all, he's a Rat! :lol: )

Just remember when doing your own rifle, that anything solid and not treated will stand out in the natural world. Give us some pics of yours when it's finished.

Double A: Nice job there, bud. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

who painted that stock?

Post by dannybracy »

I saw this post and it reminded me of a guy about a month or 2 back that painted his whole gun and scope and used netting to make it look really cool. It had some bright orange in it......anyone remember who posted it i have tried searching for it to find it but i can't. Any ideas? Thanks