Looking for rifle w/ small amount of barrel jump

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
savage12fv

Post by savage12fv »

The 204ruger in any of the rifles doesnt kick much or muzzle jump if you keep the power on your scope turned down a little bit you can see your impact. When your target gets a farther out you can turn the power up and still see the bullet impact. Thats one of the strong points for using the 204 is it has no recoil and no muzzle jump I think all of the 204 rifles fit in the no muzzle jump low recoil catagory. Just my :twocents: .
The future starts with you.
Take a kid Hunting&Fishing.
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

i got a rem 700 adl in 204 with a 24 in standard barrel and even though ive never killed anything with it i still see the bottles i shoot explode with a leupold 2-7x. im like you, i have no need for target shooting just somethin to reach as far as i can see from my front porch, which is about 500 yds through a river canyon (i live on a bluffside), and kill something if i need to.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
Don't Tread On Me!
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 11

Re: Looking for rifle w/ small amount of barrel jump

Post by Don't Tread On Me! »

Billinsd wrote:Hi, I am looking for a 204 rifle and I like the standard CZ American, however it is really light at just over 6 pounds and has a 22 inch barrel. The American Varmint model is about a pound heavier and the weight is in the barrel, which is also 2 inches longer, 24 versus 22 inches.

I would like a rifle for jackrabbits and coyotes, that I could shoot off hand as well as off of a bipod, no serious target shooting.

I know that the heavier 9 plus pound rifles would have the least amount of barrel jump, however I do not want to lug one around all day.

What would be the lightest rifle that I could see 40 grain bullets impact the target?
Thanks
Bill
I'm not sure what you mean about bbl jump? If you are referring to muzzle flip, a .204 has next to none. I shoot a Savage 11 with a 22" bbl and it barely moves. Then again, I use a .300 WM for everything else, so the .204 feels like a .22 to me. True, heavier rifles disapate recoil and muzzle flip better, but you loose versatility and mobility. To each his own I guess. Good luck in your quest.