Looking for rifle w/ small amount of barrel jump

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Billinsd

Looking for rifle w/ small amount of barrel jump

Post by Billinsd »

Hi, I am looking for a 204 rifle and I like the standard CZ American, however it is really light at just over 6 pounds and has a 22 inch barrel. The American Varmint model is about a pound heavier and the weight is in the barrel, which is also 2 inches longer, 24 versus 22 inches.

I would like a rifle for jackrabbits and coyotes, that I could shoot off hand as well as off of a bipod, no serious target shooting.

I know that the heavier 9 plus pound rifles would have the least amount of barrel jump, however I do not want to lug one around all day.

What would be the lightest rifle that I could see 40 grain bullets impact the target?
Thanks
Bill
faucettb

Post by faucettb »

I'm pretty happy with the CZ Varmint. You can see the bullets hit thru the scope and it shoots as flat as my old 22-250 did.

Here's the groups it's shooting.

Bob from Idaho
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Bob, that is great to hear. What kind of scope do you have and the magnification?
Thanks
Bill
faucettb

Post by faucettb »

It's an old Japanese Tasco 8 by 32. Got to say this is almost to much scope for a coyote gun. I've got several other variables in the 2.5 to 10 range that would be better for strictly a yote and offhand gun, but I'm probably going to leave this on for ground squirrel season.

I missed a bobcat last month that popped up at 20 yards. I've got to say this little mini-mauser action is a delight to shoot and one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I've owned in years. It's light enough to carry and just a joy to shoot.
Bob from Idaho
cracker

Post by cracker »

I also have the cz varminter, great little rifle. I think mine comes in at just under 10 lbs, i have no problem with a sling carring it all day. lets man up here and if you cant carry a 10 lb rifle all day you should get your walker and stay on cement. I hope i can carry 10 lbs all day over the shoulder till i am DRT.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Cracker, thanks. The CZ 527 American in Varmint weighs 7.3 lbs, so with a scope your gun weighs about 9 lbs or so. Unless it is not a 527 model.

Thanks
Bill
will227457

Post by will227457 »

I have the CZ 527 varmint kevlar, I think that it might be a little heavy for a coyote gun, it is very muzzle heavy so you can easily spot your shot, life is about trade offs it you want to see impact you need a heavy rifle, if you want something easy to carry...well you get it..
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Low scope power will increase your odds at seeing impact also. For example I can't see impacts on groundhogs over 6x until they get out past 150yds. The bullet just gets there too fast. Now on 4x I can see them hit from about 125yds or so on out. But it takes a wide field of view for this to happen. The only way to insure seeing every hit is to go with rimfires.HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
kevinsulikowski

browning

Post by kevinsulikowski »

the browning varmint stalkers weigh around 8 lbs around 9 lbs or so with scope. only shot mine a few times and its seems to be a good gun never known browning to make a bad gun. they do have it in 204 just wont find it in a book need to ask your dealer to see if he can get one paid alittle over $700.00 for mine with tax
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I think you'll be fine with a CZ in the American version. I've used mine PDogging, (limited amount) and I could see the hits pretty well. This was with the 32s, but the 39s aren't much different. I have a Weaver KT-15 on the rifle, so I was pushing my luck a little, but I think you'll be fine with an American, if that's what you want.
My little rifle prefers 32s, let that be your guide more so than wanting to shoot a particular bullet. Mine FLAT OUT doesn't like 40s, neither do a couple others I know of. The rifle you're contemplating might not like 40s either, it seems common with the CZs. Good luck in your choices, none are really bad :P .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Thanks guys, this is what I was talking about, I copied this from the front page of the site here "Due to the low recoil, .204 owners are enjoying the ability of seeing the bullet do its work through the scope. You can’t do this with the bigger flat shooters, the .22-250 or the Swift. Truth be told, with my light gun, the Ruger MKII Ultralight, there is enough recoil that I can not keep the scope on target when I shoot the heavier 40 grain loads. However, with the heavier guns, you can. "

The Ruger MKII All weather stainless weighs 6.5 lbs and has a 20 inch barrel. So, if this gun jumps a bit, then probably a CZ American 527 standard at 6.3 lbs and 22 inchs would jump with 39 or 40 grain bullets.

So, what I am guessing is that the 527 in Varmint at 7.2 lbs and 24 inch length barrel may or may not have barrel jump?

If both teh 527 standard and 527 varmint models have the same barrel jump, then I would go with the 527 standard because it weighs less. If the 527 varmint does not have the barrel jump I would go with it for the extra pound of weight.

If I could, it would be great to shoot these rifles before I buy one, but that is not possible.
Thanks
Bill
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Stock shape will also play a part in whether or not you can see hits from the heavier bullets, more drop at the comb will make it less likely to see your hits. I don't think the extra 1.1 pounds of the Varminter will make it untenable for carrying around, it still weighs less than my Model 70 in .270, and I seem to be able to carry it deer hunting just fine. In truth, i wish I'd bought the Varminter, but I didn't. I can live with that.
I honestly think you're overthinking this too much, though. Neither rifle will recoil much, and you're likely to see your hits pretty well.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

When ever I get to feeling sorry for myself carrying a rifle or shotgun, I think of the guy who has no option and is carrying a .50 and a 90 lb. ruck. Makes me stop whining.
Billinsd

Post by Billinsd »

Thanks guys, Glen, I probably am thinking it over a lot.

I am leaning towards the CZ American Varmint version

Bill
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

Have you thought of a AR 15 in .204 with a compensator. I think with the compensator on it plus it being gas operated, you won't feel much recoil or have any muzzle rise. I have one ordered and when I get it I will see how it works.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.