12 series savage rifles. fluted or not?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

glenn asher wrote:Savage's stainless barrels seem to clean up a little easier than their blue barrels, for that reason alone, the stainless VLP might be more fun to fool with. (I just bought a new .223 barrel for my FV .223, and it's stainless, to replace the old wornout pipe, I expect it to be easier to clean, too).
how many rounds did you have threw the blued barrel? is barrel life shortened a good amount? thats a big thing for me because i go shoot a lot. how much is a good stainless barrel?

also, is it true fluted barrels are more picky with ammo? i read that they are pickier because of the harmonics of the barrel, or is that off in perfectionist land? or is sub moa, with the vlp, more than acheivable out of the box with factory ammo.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

RacefacE wrote:also, is it true fluted barrels are more picky with ammo? i read that they are pickier because of the harmonics of the barrel, or is that off in perfectionist land? or is sub moa, with the vlp, more than acheivable out of the box with factory ammo.
You should have absolutely no problem getting sub-MOA with any of the Savage models that you are considering.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm swapping out barrels because of the cleaning hassles, AND the edge has worn off of the older tube. It still shoots MOA after 4000 or so rounds, but I want something a bit better, hence the new pipe. .223s last a long long while, but they do wear out, and a new pipe is cheaper than a new rifle. Besides, this action's just smoothing up to where I like it :D
If you take care of a good blued barrel, it should last as long as a SS barrel, but I tend to get excitable in a PD patch, and they don't get treated as nicely as they should. :oops:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

awesome guys, i think im all out of questions. i'll post up what i end up buying monday!

thanks for all the help
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Good luck. Pictures are mandatory! :D
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

Mike wrote:Good luck. Pictures are mandatory! :D
they'll come 10 days later because california is filled with insane liberals