Alturas Belden's squirrel trip- first timer

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Alturas Belden's squirrel trip- first timer

Post by hemiallen »

After about 3 years of planning, gun purchases and deciding the FIL won't be going, we connected with 2 of my son's friends and headed north Thursday with a few leads for where to shoot in my logbook. My son and I left early enough to arrive around 12:30, and arrived at the Rim Rock Motel about 45 minutes before the room was ready for us. So instead of waiting until the planned phone call Friday morning at 7am I decided to give a rancher friend a call and see if we could come pester him and maybe do so shooting/ scouting. The rancher was from a town 30 miles east of me, and graduated Highschool with my BIL's oldest brother, and my FIL knew the rancher and his family for 50+ years, but they hadn't met while both were old enough to remember (Rancher was a tyke)

So we got to his ranch and spent some time discussing life, he showed us around and we decided to kill some vermin. I started things right with my High standard 22 pistol outfitted with a Tasco PDP3 fine red dot, sighted dead on for 25 yards, and while my son was skirting the delapidated building for further shots a Beldens stood up watching him about 30 yards from me. Offhand, single shot to the neck got him a flopping around enough for my son to see Pops drew first blood...lol We ended up seting up and shot 17 HMR, 223 and 204's for a good hour and a half, and killed about 125 until they decided to stay out of sight.. or we killed em all, lol

Went looking at the other fields we drove with the Rancher to scope out tomorrow's 4 person hunt and I found another Belden's near an old set of corrals, and having the pistol ready gave him a headache he'll not recover from. Sun had set so we headed south to our hotel to meet our friends. The next morning we loaded up both trucks and found fog all around us, so we ended up waiting and didn't get to the "choosen field" until about 9:30 to find very fiew targets. I said we need to move until we find better grounds, and ended up back at Thursday's field, and shot there until 11am for a cool 125+ vermin. I called another rancher and had to be back in town at 1pm, so we started south but looked at a few fields and found another shooter who said the quantity was way down from normal, and he was headed south of Alturas if he couldn't find better pickins, so I guess we got to the only "loaded" field just in time.

Met with the other rancher at 1, got some shooting in for about an hour, but it was way slower there, for a count of maybe 75, but many were along the road and tiny, killed with the 17 hmr, otherwise the field was way slower. I suggested we head south and look for more options, got to meet a rancher and his water boss along the road in the area we thought was ok to hunt, and they told us to go back up the road a mile, back an alley and start looing. That field was like Nirvana, at first it looked ok, but as we shot more would either appear, or come out of the hole? We 4 spent from 3'ish to 7:30 shooting pretty fast, and even had to change guns from hot barrels. Kill was right around 250 from my notes.

The next morning, on suggestions of others, we went down below Madeline and found a decent field, it was around 80 degree's and the shooting pretty much petered out about noon. We killed about 150 there and scouting around it seemed all had hunkered down to rest, and as the grass hadn't been watered anywhere yet, I suspect they seek shelter to conserve, as there isn't much grass ( alfalfa) to eat anyway.

Headed back north to yesterdays field and killed another 100, and we were amazed that there were still squirrels, but did find one area to have been picked clean by us. At sunset the squirrels had slowed way down, so we started the howler, and the only thing that came to us was a jackalope, stupid thing got 50 yards from the howler, saw us and went straight back up the road he came down.

Sunday morning we thought we would draw our last blood and head home, but found some hunters in the next over field, and even though we had plenty of targets and could have set up to shoot away from them, I suggested if we were in their shoes and someone set up like we were thinking, I wouldn't be happy to see others, so we left without poppin a cap. I suggested we had a lot of opportunity south of this field, but we never did see any spots to do more than sling lead at 300+ yards, so a half a dozen more kills and we headed to Reno, then home.

My son the Firefighter

Friends

Can you say decapitiation

This little bugger was at 200 yards along with a bunch more

BTW, most of our shots were from 100 to 250 yards, ranged, and very few were in close. I think our average hit ratio was better than I expected, my month old 204 that I bought with ammo from a varmint hunting friend who was downsizing ( I added a jewell set at 8 oz) was better than my 223, even though the 204 with his loads is a half inch gun and my 223 has logged 3 sub 0.2" groups, but it was set at 100 yds and had a cheap scope.

Thinking about our next trip already, I have a bunch of setup changes like less guns, putting the guns all side by side behind the front seats on the cargo shelf dodge has on their quad cab truck, better bed layout for the tables/ chairs and add an umbrella, etc.

Allen
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Alturas Belden's squirrel trip- first timer

Post by RAMOS »

Great trip! Thanks for sharing.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Were you hunting on Alturas Ranches property? I'm hoping to get up there soon. Are the babies out yet? Good shooting!
K = ½mv2
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks

If the picture of theheadless is a baby, yes they are out but not many. My friend last night said his opinion is the baby's are half that size, and if so I didn't see any. The farmers with flood are just starting, sprinklers haven't started yet so the ground is dry and the vegitation, as the picts indicate, are almost bare.

Half the time we hunted Alturas ranch, and private ranchers the rest.

Allen
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ahh the good old Rim Rock Motel! It's been a few years since I was shooting rats in Alturas but your post brought back good memories! Gary
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Sounds like a great trip! You'll be hooked now. Make sure you don't mistake the RimRock in Alturas for the one just north in Lakeview. You will be sorely disappointed! :o Glad you had a good trip. Once you've experienced some good 'rat shooting, you'll have to go back.
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?