Sons First Coyote With An AR

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Sons First Coyote With An AR

Post by Dennis81082 »

My son Colton is 13 and this season we've been able to do more coyote hunting together. He's proven to be a pretty good shot with whatever he's packing at the time but up til now it's been a bolt gun. Today he was carrying my AR and it looks like he can shoot it too.

We have had quite a bit of snow and it's started to warm up so now we have lots of good old red clay mud(slick as snot). We called a few stands in the last week but it's tough trying to get off the main county roads. Today we went to a place we always find a few coyotes and at the beginning it looked to have dried up some. The farther we went the worse it got until I was afraid to stop or turn around. We slipped and slid for over a mile and finally reached a high point in the road that had gotten some sun and pulled to the top to look. The road beyond was an absolute swamp. I had a spot in mind to call but we couldn't get there. We backed up a little to hide the truck and walked down the side of a ridge to get the wind right.

We slipped over and sat down over looking a large cactus flat that led to a dried up lake bed filled with willows and brush. It always seems to produce and this would be our last set for the day. I was going to use a couple of hand calls to do some howling but with so little cover I decided to put the e-call up wind about 50 yards.

I started with fox distress off and on for about 5 minutes and then added a coyote challenge. We waited a while and did a few female invitation howls. It was a long way to the heavy cover where I expected them to come from so I started looking with my bino's and saw we had one headed our way. Colton was on my left about 10 yards and I told him where the coyote was. He was coming straight to us but when he reached a patch of soapweed he turned down wind. We sat watching hoping he would come a little closer but he was headed to our left. If he continued he would either get up on the ridge and see the truck or get our wind. I was using a squeaker and he would stop and look but kept going. I whispered to Colton not to let him get too far or he would bust us.

About the time I got that said Colton laid him out with a perfect shot right above the top of the leg. I heard the bullet hit, the coyote spun once or twice and was down. When we went to pick him up I counted 200 paces to a beautifully furred coyote. We don't get many pretty hides but this one will be tanned for the wall.

My huntin' buddy is getting good on the trigger and I couldn't be any more proud of him. He's shot the AR for practice at home but this was the first time on a live target and he did it like he was suppose too. I miss being able to shoot but this is almost as much fun.

Thanks for looking and sorry for being so long winded.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Sons First Coyote With An AR

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Long winded is fine mate. Puts us in your boots for a few minutes and inspires us to keep on the hunt. Nice pics too. Anyone ever tell you we love pics? :D
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Dennis,
Tell Colton congratulations for me. I know what you're saying about not shooting but it's worth it to get to hunt and spend time with your son. You can't put a price on that and life doesn't come equipped with reverse!
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Congratulations to you and to Colton!!!

It's never too long-winded when you've got a great story to tell, and pictures to share!

Thanks for posting.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
ZenArchery
.204 Ruger Guns: Bushmaster .204

Post by ZenArchery »

Congrats!!!
venison_burger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps chambered in .204 ruger

Post by venison_burger »

righteous!
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Post by Dennis81082 »

Thanks for all the kind words.

Melvin, no reverse, good way to put it. I might change a few things in my past but not this part.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice job guys i am always glad to see a youngster getting into the sport.
Morrisonsfweb
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Morrisonsfweb »

Awesome share indeed. I’ve been awaiting for this update.
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Post by roooster_11 »

Cool story....and I know exactly what you mean about missing shooting. Now that my son comes with me I never get to shoot :( , but it is very exciting to watch them shoot.

Good job!
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown