Two Old Dogs and Max

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Dennis81082
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700

Two Old Dogs and Max

Post by Dennis81082 »

Me and the coyote, Max is only a 3 yr old.

After some poor shooting last week and some scope adjusting I went on a short hunt yesterday with my buddy Max.

Max didn't get to hunt at all last year and needed a tune up.

We parked the truck and walked over a rise into a spot overlooking a dry creek drainage. It was wide open where we set up with lots of brush and cattle in the distance. I put the call 40yds upwind in some soapweed and sat down in front of some cactus. Max nosed around a little then sat down close by. I started with a few howls to see if anything would respond. At around 10 min I started Jack distress and less than a minute I've got a hard charger coming from the downwind side. Max was looking the other direction and the coyote got to about 50 yds when Max saw him and the chase was on. It took me a while to get my call out and they were headed straight away when Max heard my KI-Yi and stopped about 200 yds. He looked back at me, looked at the coyote then started back. He came right to me and sat down watching the coyote. The coyote never gave any indication he knew I was anywhere around.

I watched the coyote for a minute or two and he kept looking from Max to where he had heard the call. He was too far for a good shot and still interested so I started the call up and he walked a few steps closer and stopped to look at Max. No reaction from Max so the coyote came a little closer and looked at Max again. I was proud of Max as he never moved a muscle. The coyote saw no trouble brewing and committed, coming from right to left and getting closer. He was really locked in on the sound. I barked him to a stop when he got straight in front of me and let one fly. I heard the hit but the coyote took off like he had other places he'd rather be, he didn't look hurt to me and I figured we'd have to track him. I picked up my stuff and started in the general direction. I looked through my bino's to find the spot I'd last seen him when I noticed what looked like a coyote laying in the shade of a cactus. Yep, coyote. He ran over a slight rise in the ground and I didn't see him go down. Max had stayed close after the shot so I guess he didn't see where to coyote went either. I started again with Max out front. Max was going to pass the coyote on the downwind and when he hit the scent he spun and went straight to the coyote.

He wasn't finished and looked like he would put a hole in my boot so I called Max off and ended it.

The shot was a little back but got the liver. You can see the entry on the left side. He was quartering to me more than I thought. Even the finishing shot at 5ft didn't exit.

He had the begining of mange so I left him. He was an OLD guy and hadn't missed many meals. Didn't look all that big but was plenty heavy. I talked to the rancher on the way out and he figured this was the coyote that had been hanging around the house (I shot him less than 1 mile from the house) for the last couple of years.

When he came in I thought he looked like an adult, he sure wasn't intimidated by Max. When I looked at his teeth he was missing the top right canine and had lots of wear and yellowing. Guess he won't be stealing chickens and such anymore.

Sorry I got so long winded, thanks for looking.
Last edited by Dennis81082 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Two Old Dods and Max

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yo Dennnis.....thanks for the story and pics. Looks like Max is now tuned up and ready for some more action with dad. I'm assuming you nailed the coyote with a 204.....right?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Dennis81082

Re: Two Old Dogs and Max

Post by Dennis81082 »

Rick

I told you I was old (and forgetful). :wall:

I was going to take my 204 but after my son's miss last week I took his CZ 527 in 223 for a test run after adjusting the scope.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dennis81082 wrote:Rick - I told you I was old (and forgetful). :wall:

I was going to take my 204 but after my son's miss last week I took his CZ 527 in 223 for a test run after adjusting the scope.
No worries bud, it looks like the CZ works too! Dial in that 204.....dogs here fear the .20 caliber...... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WTG! Always love pics....pics are good.
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Dennis81082

Post by Dennis81082 »

The 204 will get some work when I find time to load up some ammo. My son will be using the 204 some this season. Want to get him some time on different calibers.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Good story, Dennis. :yeah:

Been trying to get my Heeler mix used to gun fire. He's getting there but still wants to back off aways when I chamber a round in the .204. At least I can call him off a dead run on a coyote.

Would love to have him hunt with me like you do Max. :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Dennis81082

Post by Dennis81082 »

Hedge

I started Max when I brought him home at 8 weeks. When I fed him we would shoot a capgun close by. Moved up to 22 cal when outside and always praised him when we shot. Now I can't take a gun to the truck without him jumping in. Max even goes with when I do load work up and sight in. I should get him a pair of ear muffs. :D
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Earmuffs would be a good idea. :D

He's good with the .22. Just backs off a few yards and lies down to watch. Bigger guns and he backs way off.

Got Sparks when he was a year old. But, he had some good basics. First time in the field, he took off after a coyote that was drawing him off. Wouldn't come to the call and nearly lost him over a hill 'till I hit him with the collar. Now, as a refresher, all I need do is hit the audible setting.

Last year, he got into it with a yearling coyote. The coyote was getting the worst of it by the sounds. (couldn't see anything but the moving grass). A quick whistle and "leave it!", and Sparks let him go and came back to me. :)

I've had a skinned out coyote carcass in the shelter belt for a couple weeks and something has been making a meal of it. Trail camera isn't getting any pics, just me and the dog when we check it out. Whatever it is, is big enough to move it 8 and 10 feet. Today, I went to check and the whole thing was gone. No drag marks or other sign that I could see. Snow is too sparse to get a trail. Of course, the camera didn't trigger. :wall: At least I know that it's got to be big enough to pick up 20 + lbs and carry it off. Horses were a bit nervous this morning, so I'm thinking a big cat. Doubt another coyote. The horses aren't scared of 'em and I've trained them to chase dogs instead of running off.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Dennis81082--Great story and photos. Thanks for sharing--I enjoyed the hunt.

Be careful about letting your dog play with mangy coyotes. I'd hate to see him get infected with sarcoptic mange caused by Sarcoptes scabei. Those mites can make a dog's life miserable. The female mite burrows into the skin and make tunnels and often they lay eggs in these tunnels. The eggs hatch and turn into larva and the female larva dig their own tunnels and make life miserable for the host. However there are medications that will take care of it. Demodectic mange, caused by Demodex canis, another small mite, is another one you have to look out for with your dogs. I think it is even more difficult to treat. Sorry I got carried a ways off topic. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Dennis81082

Post by Dennis81082 »

LeRoy
I didn't notice the slight signs of mange until after the pics and I was hooking him up to drag back to the truck. I was going to call the vet today but got busy and forgot. I'll be sure to check tomorrow.
Thanks for the reminder.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Fantastic hunt!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Great story and photos. In that first photo it looks like Max is so hungry he'd eat the @ss out of a coyote!
Dennis81082

Post by Dennis81082 »

Trent

As you can tell from the pic he hasn't missed many meals, he just likes to chew on coyotes. He never did work on the front end, maybe cause the coyote was still alive when we got to him. Max may be smarter than I am. :D
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Interesting hunt Dennis, I'd like to watch a dog work a coyote sometime and keep us up to date on your adventures.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.